25: Smells Like Cinnamon

"I think we've rehearsed enough," Ryker announced, keeping the script beside him as he tilted slightly to face Ashton. The two men were in Ashton's trailer, running lines.

Yes. They were, in fact, just running lines.

"Okay. If you say so," Ashton shrugged casually. Ryker didn't waste a single second in leaning forward, eager to kiss the other man, but Ashton kept a hand on his chest to stop him. "Listen—"

"Huh?"

"I don't think we should...not when we're at work," Ashton muttered, looking away. "It's risky."

Yesterday's events with Tabitha replayed in his mind as he gulped. Followed by his panic attac— no. Ashton didn't get panic attacks. That was not true.

"Oh," Ryker blinked, caught off-guard by the sudden change of Ashton's mind. They had been sneaking behind everyone's backs for weeks now, so it was justified why he was surprised by what Ashton was now saying. "Okay. Do you want to come over after work?"

"To your place?"

"No, dumbass. To Disneyland," Ryker retorted. "Of course, my place. We can stop by yours first and you can pick up a pair of clothes for tomorrow."

"I'll come," Ashton paused. "But I'm not staying the night."

"Works for me," Ryker mumbled, and Ashton once again missed the frown on his face.

And that was how Ashton ended up at Ryker's place once again. He couldn't even begin to comprehend how he seemed to manage to do so against his better judgment. It didn't even take a lot of convincing, he just...agreed.

Ashton was expecting Ryker to jump on him the moment they were inside, but surprisingly he didn't do that. Instead, after washing up and changing into some comfortable clothes, which was just a pair of grey sweatpants, Ryker headed to the kitchen to make dinner.

"Can you pass me the chopping board?" Ryker asked. Ashton nodded, picking it up before handing it to Ryker, who smiled before pressing a light kiss to Ashton's forehead. "Thanks."

Ashton blinked in confusion once Ryker turned around. Did he just... peck his forehead? They had done more than that, obviously, but for some reason this kiss felt a lot more intimate. The entire time that Ryker was preparing dinner, he kept asking Ashton to help him with trivial things. Ryker would then keep his hand on Ashton's lower back, or smile at him, and on one occasion he event tapped his butt to acknowledge him.

Odd.

Ashton was currently stirring whatever was in the pot, when Ryker walked towards him and stood behind him. He kept both his hands on Ashton's waist, gently rubbing them up and down as he rested his chin on the Ashton's shoulder.

"Smells good," Ryker mumbled.

"Yeah, what did you add? Cinnamon or—"

"I meant you."

Ashton didn't respond. Well, not using words anyway. But his face was starting to feel warm and he knew it wasn't because of the heat of the kitchen. Ryker tilted his head, pressing soft kisses at the side of Ashton's neck as his hands slipped inside the other man's shirt.

Ryker was behaving so differently. He was acting as if the two were dating, and that idea freaked Ashton out. But despite that, he couldn't find it within himself to ask Ryker to move away or to do so himself. He hated that a part of him was actually enjoying being held and touched like this.

"You shouldn't be doing all this when we're so close to the stove," Ashton muttered, but his body was saying otherwise as he tilted his head slightly, giving Ryker more access to his neck. His other hand was gripping the edge of the counter tightly as he tried to hold back a moan.