14: Closet Skeletons

Ashton's mind felt muddled. His thoughts were incoherent and his throat was drying up. Why did he always feel this way when Ryker was around? It made no sense to him. Absolutely no fucking sense.

"Ryker?"

"Yeah?" Ryker's voice was soft.

"Your hand."

"What about it?" Ryker asked.

"It's still in my hair," Ashton replied.

"Oh." The other man acknowledged, yet made no effort in removing it.

"Yeah."

Silence fell between them again as neither of them made a move. Finally, after what felt like an eternity, Ryker's gaze moved down slightly as a small smile took over his lips.

"I don't get why you try to hide your freckles," Ryker said.

"My freckles?" Ashton frowned in confusion.

"Yeah."

"I don't like them," Ashton stated.

"I do," Ryker spoke. "They're cute."

"No, they're not," Ashton retorted.

"Seriously, you've got to be blind if you don't see yourself the way that I do," Ryker said.

"You're one to say that," Ashton pressed his lips in a thin line.

"What do you mean?" Ryker asked.

"You don't have to worry about hiding anything," Ashton elaborated. "You've got the perfect everything. The perfect eyes, the perfect hair, the perfect smile...the perfect life."

"Now that's an exaggeration," Ryker replied. "I don't have everything I want. Not all in my life is perfect."

"Like what?" Ashton challenged.

"My love life, for one," Ryker said, making Ashton scoff lightly.

"You can have anyone that you want," Ashton said.

"That's not true," Ryker denied.

"Come on," Ashton added, "I think we've already established that you can have any girl that you set your eyes on. Doesn't even matter if they're with another guy."

"Oh Ash..." Ryker let out a light chuckle as he finally moved his hand, trailing it down Ashton's hair to his neck as he rubbed the side skin with his thumb. "How can you be so goddamn dense?"

"Dense? Me?" Ashton blinked.

"No. Not you. I'm talking about the other person that I'm speaking to right now in this parking lot, of course," Ryker retorted, making Ashton sigh at the sarcasm.

"If I'm so dense then enlighten me, please smart one," Ashton said. "Tell me what I'm missing."

"You can't see what's right in front of your eyes," Ryker spoke.

"The only thing in front of my eyes is you, you idiot," Ashton replied. Ryker closed his eyes, taking a deep breath in before looking at Ashton again.

"Goddamnit, Ash. What would it take for you to get a hint?" Ryker muttered.

"What hint?" Ashton frowned. "Why do you always talk like this? Like there's some great mystery that I don't know anything about."

"Because there is so much you know nothing about," Ryker answered. "Things so clear and evident that I have no idea how you don't see it."

"Huh?"

Ashton was growing more and more confused by the second. What the hell was Ryker on about? What was this thing that Ashton seemed to be missing out on? No matter how much he tried to think, he couldn't come up with anything.