Chapter 23 - Kingdom of Time

I hope you enjoy this new chapter.

Chapter 23 - Kingdom of Time

The floating ship was sailing into unknown territory. The whirling propellers carried interstellar dust with them as they plunged further and further into the farthest reaches of this initially hostile galaxy. The prow of this Bowser-headed ship pointed towards the Kingdom of Time, now only a few kilometers away, surrounded by a colorful nebula. There was not a sound in this galactic void, not an echo reaching them... Only this silence, punctuated by the beating of the propellers. Soon they arrived in a vast area where clocks of all shapes and origins were floating. These objects drifted peacefully in endless space, their repetitive ticking echoing in this infinity as the ship moved in a straight line towards a mooring point.

It was a harbor, more specifically a long platform that led to a white arch with strange, luminous green symbols inscribed on its smooth surface. And behind this imposing arch stood the Kingdom of Time in all its splendor. Immense and majestic, this white castle overlooked a vast, desolate territory, most of the plants having been burnt to a crisp. There was not a sound to be heard as the ship docked in the harbor, lowered the ramp and allowed the King of the Koopas to step ashore. He placed his hands on his hips as his skeptical gaze surveyed the vast, lifeless expanse. Clocks four times his size lay rotting in the ground, having been out of action for a long time by the look of the ash covering them. Faded, crooked trees were frozen in time, while a fine film of dust blew in the gentle breeze over the ruins of an ancient city.

Bowser ordered Kamek and his few guards to stand back while he had a word with King Tick-Tock. The last thing he wanted was to intimidate him, let alone screw up his meeting with him because of them! After all, he knew what the Magikoopa was like... Always protesting at the drop of a hat. Despite their vehement protests, the giant Koopa ignored them and strode through the chaotic landscape towards the large golden doors at the far end of the endless white platform. He glanced left and right to make sure no one would take him by surprise, even though deep down he knew that no one would dare attack the mighty Bowser! That would clearly be reckless. Determined and confident, the spiny turtle blinked confusedly as small wooden figures appeared from nowhere and dragged someone by the arms towards the palace.

"No, please! Please don't do this! I didn't fall asleep at my post on purpose, I swear! I have a family!" Whined the puppet forcibly dragged along by two armored soldiers.

Bowser shifted to the left to let the guards pass and the future condemned for his incompetence. He'd never seen these strange creatures before, but they strongly resembled puppets used as drawing models... Except that these ones had a face and a watch in the center of their chest. The guards wore white feathered helmets and chain mail with the crest of the Tick-Tock King, a crest of two crossed needles. Nothing extraordinary, remarked Bowser with a wry smile as the figures disappeared behind the huge doors. They really lacked originality! With an ironic shake of his head, the Koopa climbed the few steps to stand before the sumptuous white castle inlaid with golden Roman numerals.

"Open the gates! Or die!" He shouted, using his famous sentence to frighten his opponents. A success. Smiling wickedly as the double doors slowly opened with a creak, he puffed out his chest as he stepped inside to find that it was actually an automatic mechanism... Oh, now that was unfortunate.

The first thing that struck him was the width of the corridor leading up to the throne. The place was truly immense, so much bigger than his castle that he couldn't even see the ceiling! It was hidden by a white mist. There was only one path leading to the throne, and that was a golden grid overhanging the void where clocks of all sizes floated. Large gears turned on the sides, statuettes of various creatures inhabiting the galaxy were displayed between these pillars rising to this invisible ceiling. As he walked towards the throne made from clock parts, Bowser had to admit that this castle was truly impressive and delicately decorated. They almost hadthe same taste in decoration! Except that he would have replaced those vulgar statuettes with his own, believing they would add much more charm to this rather too impersonal place.