Chapter 14 - The invitation

Enjoy your reading!

Chapter 14 - The Invitation

"My dear, you seem distracted today."

Cinder blinked quickly at Koopa Cook sudden speech. Planted in the middle of the work plan with two slices of tomatoes in the arms, she had looked for a long time at the dish facing her. Motionless and thoughtful. She hadn't even realized she was daydreaming until the winged Koopa with a white chef's hat on his head intervened. Muttering a quick apology for the momentary distraction, she went back to her work of placing the cut vegetables on the pie crust in a large dish on the counter. She had to be careful where she stepped because she could slip at any moment with the thin film of flour on the gigantic surface! Koopa had asked her opinion about the evening meal and she had suggested that she make the vegetable pie she had once tasted. A dish she had loved.

"What's got you so worried?" Questioned the chef in his little accent while squinting at the seemingly tormented human. Grabbing a wooden spoon, he stirred the eggs with the cream while Cinder sighed with a frown.

"I became the King's advisor. He graciously gave me a room and a new dress. I admit I don't know what to make of it. What if my advice is wrong? What if I don't measure up? I really don't know how to handle it... He's so unpredictable." She admitted in a small, worried voice, her fingers twitching against the tomato slices. All the vegetables they used were larger than normal, as was everything else around her. But she was so confused by Bowser's gesture that she didn't even notice it anymore. She wasn't used to receiving gifts, so she didn't know how to interpret it... Or if it was a good thing. And Koopa Cook was the only one here who she dared to confide in.

"Yes, that's what I understood from the rumors that the King had shown generosity. It's rare, but not impossible." Acquiesced the chef followed by a nod that shifted his toque. On the edge of the counter with the bowl in his arms, he continued serenely; "and then it's not surprising."

"What do you mean?" Cinder looked up at the red-shelled Koopa, intrigued. The latter shrugged, then set the mixture for the filling aside.

"Since you have been here, there have been many changes. Your presence brings something extra to this castle that we haven't had in years. Junior is a different child, it's been a long time since I've seen him like this. So happy and fulfilled. And you made a big impression in the ranks. We're talking about the human with the big heart... So, it's not surprising that the King is interested in the one who caused all the commotion." Explained Koopa Cook, who spread his white wings to fly away to look for a pot hanging on the anvil above their heads.

"I do what I think is right." Naturally replied Cinder as she finally placed the tomato slices in the four corners of the pie.

"That's why you're making a strong impression. And you'll be up to the task, I don't doubt it for a second!" Immediately affirmed the pragmatic turtle with a nod to the human who needed reassurance. Putting his pan on the fire to brown small onions, he resumed.

"We haven't had many opportunities to cross paths with humans, but the few we have seen have never shown any consideration for our species. We are always seen as the bad guys in the story." Koopa Cook raised his arms with a small, pained sigh.

"It's not surprising if you imprison them or sacrifice them." Corrected the woman, who smiled cheerfully when his interlocutor made an outraged "humpf".

"Not all humans are treated the same. It depends on how useful they can be and how much Bowser cares for them. Princess Peach was never mistreated within these walls. She has always been allowed her own room with a full meal and the freedom to roam the castle as she pleases." Clarified the turtle as he flew to the counter to retrieve some fresh aromatics. So yes, she was being held against her will, but the King had never done her any harm! Which was quite amazing when you knew what he was capable of. At the lack of response from the human getting on with her task, he continued with an arched eyebrow.