Chapter 11 - The Request

I wish you all a good reading!

Chapter 11 - The Request

The candles of the candlesticks flickered above Cinder and Kamek as they descended to the basement where a fiery breeze blew. The human walking behind Magikoopa instinctively tightened her arms around her as they went deeper and deeper into this more sinister part of the castle. She felt as if she were entering the bowels of the volcano, sinking into an oven. The stone was darker here and the decoration was sparse, almost non-existent. Where was he taking her? Anxiously, Cinder looked around in fear of finding herself trapped in her cage again in the depths of this isolated prison. She did not want to go back there... She did not want to live again this heavy solitude, forsaken and forgotten, waiting for her last hour to ring.

In this long and endless corridor, the two of them ended up crossing another Koopa with the red shell coming in the opposite direction. This one had a patch over his right eye as he quietly passed by them without saying a word. He didn't seem to be very friendly at all. When he reached Cinder, the General shifted his gaze to her and looked at her coldly, staring at her for a long time while she followed Kamek. This simple eye contact made her shiver because she had the impression that he hated her even though they didn't know each other... Or was it more like mistrust? She didn't know, nevertheless she didn't feel like staying near this Koopa who gave off an unsympathetic aura.

"Don't dawdle." Pressed Kamek in front of her without a backward glance.

Cinder swallowed but did as he asked as she pressed her pace to catch up with him in the long hallway leading to a single wrought iron door. She had never been here before, this place was completely unfamiliar to her as he pushed open the large doors to reveal the room behind. There was a powerful rush of air, which sucked in her glowing hair as her terrified green eyes interpreted the place. A titanic room, filled with weapons of all kinds arranged on racks on each side wall with no windows. At the far end was a huge waterfall of lava that flowed continuously, filling the floorless spaces with the deadly bubbling red and yellow liquid. But what frightened her the most was not this most hostile decoration, it was rather what was in the center of it.

Currently with his back to them, the King of the Koopas awaited their coming.

"Here she is, your Highness. Just as you asked!" Kamek made their presence known with this simple phrase as he loudly closed the door behind him with a snap of his finger.

"The little songbird..." Bowser declared in his deep, drawling voice before looking back over his shoulder with a mischievous smile. Laying eyes on the human standing awkwardly next to the Magikoopa, he slowly turned to them.

"I hear you're training Junior to make his first fireballs?" He revealed with disconcerting calm. Keeping his evil smile, he approached Kamek and Cinder.

However the human was far too frightened to answer anything. He knew what she had done to help Junior. Was she going to die here? Was this the end of her adventure? Had she crossed the line? Of course, her recent nightmare decided to resurface at that moment to torment her and laugh at her situation. She felt as if her heart might actually burst out of her chest as it was beating loudly in her ears... Not daring to look up at the threatening giant Koopa, she swallowed when he passed by her and brushed her hair with a claw. The sensation sent shivers down her spine. He was so close, much too close for comfort. She could almost feel his warm breath on her back as he spoke again in that same low, intimidating tone he used to instill fear in the bravest of hearts.

"There is something about you that fascinates me. Something I don't find in other humans. When I picked you up on your drifting little planet, you had only one interest for me. Your fabulous song that had the power to heal the grieving souls... To sweep away all those dark thoughts with the power of your notes. And then you refused to sing for me. Twice." Bowser raised two claws, looking lost in his memories.