Chapter Fifteen

Dinner was delicious; Rain had offered to help but had been pushed out of the kitchen and told to go and relax. Helen and Stu had everything organised between them and then the four of them sat down to enjoy the food. When everything was cleared up they went through to the Christmas tree and Bret handed everyone their gifts. Rain was surprised at how many she had and found that Helen and Stu had got her quite a pile, just as many as they got Bret. She had some lovely things; perfume, chocolates, a pretty pearl necklace with matching earrings and a cashmere sweater. Bret had got her a diamond necklace which sparkled brightly as he fastened it around her neck. Once they were done and everyone was sat round the fire with a glass of wine, Bret suddenly got to his feet, looking a little nervous. Rain stared as he brought her to her feet and then dropped to one knee and Helen gasped.

"Rain, I know we haven't been together for all that long, but these last few months have been the happiest of my life. I love you and I want to spend the rest of my life with you. Will you marry me?" He presented her with a small dark blue velvet box, which he opened to reveal a stunning diamond ring which matched the pendant at her throat. For a moment Rain's hand played with her pendant and she stared down at him, tears filling her eyes.

"Yes!" she finally choked out, pulling Bret to his feet and throwing her arms around him. "Yes oh yes!" Helen and Stu clapped their hands delightedly and hugged them both, admiring the ring which Bret slipped onto Rain's finger.

"This calls for champagne," said Stu, heading out to the fridge while Helen found the champagne glasses. Left alone for a moment, Rain pulled Bret down to her and kissed him passionately on the lips.

"I love you," she said softly, pressing her forehead to his. Bret beamed down at her.

"You just made me the happiest man alive. I love you too," he replied.

***

Rain held the phone away from her ear as Lita and Trish's squeals vibrated down the line. Bret grinned from across the room. They had gone up to his old bedroom for some privacy to call their friends and tell them their news.

"Oh my gosh that is just the best news!" cried Trish. "Tell us everything!"  Bret smiled as he laid back on his old bed, watching her stand at the window happily telling her friends everything about his proposal. Then she listened to their news about Christmas before launching into a vivid description of his baby photos, at which point he took the phone away from her.

"I'm afraid Rain has to go now," he said. "Bye ladies."

Rain giggled at the look on his face as he carefully placed the phone on the bed.

"Now I don't believe we dealt with your naughty little comments this morning young lady," he said menacingly. "And I believe we are alone."

"But all I said was how cute you were," said Rain, giggling as he reached across to grab her and she avoided his hand.

"You're only making it worse for yourself," he said. "Come here and take your punishment like a good girl."

Rain laughed and Bret, hard as he tried to maintain the menacing persona couldn't help but grin, as he finally caught her about the waist and pulled her to him, kissing her passionately on the lips.

"Mmm, I like this punishment," said Rain. Bret tickled her, making her giggle and struggle. "Ok ok, I'll be good, I'll be good! she cried, trying to get away. As she turned Bret released her and then to her surprise he flipped up her skirt and planted a smack on her ass before pulling her back to him and kissing her.

"Now you've been punished," he said, with a smug smile. Rain grinned.

"I liked my punishment. I'll have to be naughty more often," she said, playfully. Bret rolled his eyes.