23.

Sitting in the back of the car shakiyah thought back on what she had left in her life, which was equivalent to nothing since her daughter was taken from her.

After losing her daughter  her life went even farther down hill than it originally was. She got her car towed for illegal parking as well as her licence being suspended for driving under the influence of heroine.

She couldn't ask for help even if she wanted to. No one wants her. Correction, no one can stand to be around her. Her parents were always strict with her as they wanted her to be able to strive and be her best but she took as them being controlling and rebelled against them. She would go out and drink and party almost every night whilst she was in high school and almost didn't graduate. Her parents realized their was nothing they could do to remotely get her act together so they abandoned her and put their focus on J'shaun who was their poster child. They only person she had to lean on was Kareem who let her move in with him even though she wasn't in school or contributing to bills or rent at all.

It was easy for her to admit that living with Kareem was much more fulfilling than living with her parents so she exploited it. Whilst Kareem was out playing basketball and making brand deals and sponsorships as a college student she was out partying once again. Even though she was in a supposed committed relationship she was not opposed to hooking up with anyone that was willing. So much so that she even got pregnant.

Of course no one knew this, not even Kareem. But all he did know was that she need seven hundred dollars to buy new purse.

No one ever found out about the first pregnancy and she made sure to keep it that way.

Sighing, Shakiyah removed herself from her thoughts and exited the car. Shifting her dress a little to expose more cleavage, shakiyah entered the building she was called to and was immediately hit with a large amount of smoke.

"you made it." A man said as he approached her. Pulling her into a hug before kissing her lips.

Bitting her lip she looked up through her lashes at her baby daddy. "You said you needed some extra help. I'm willing to do anything if I get paid." She said.

"I just need you to cater to my boys whilst we do business." King said staring at her figure. He hadn't seen her in years, mostly because he's wanted nothing to do with his child she was carrying, she had bank and great pussy the perfect combination in his eyes. But now she was nothing.  Her body was all that she had going for her and now that the baby was gone she would be a lot more useful to have around. " I'll pay you real good, don't worry sweetheart. Just do as. I say and don't complain.

*****

Entering the firm Essence made her way to Jamie's office. She had been there so many times she knew her way around the place quite well.  Making it to her office she twisted the nob of the door and was about to push when the door was yanked open. Unable to catch her balance she ended up being projected onto the person who opened the door first.

Dumbfounded by the whole ordeal Essence took a breath before pushing herself off the body she pushed up against.

"I'm so sorry, I didn't mean run into you like that." she explained looking down attempting to hide her embarrassment.

"It's all good love, It was my fault. I pulled the door to hard." Cairo said look down at the brown skin beauty before him.

Looking up at the sound of his voice, Essence was met with his warm golden brown eyes and sweet smile.

"Are gonna stand there and look stupid? You're either coming or going pick one." Jamie exclaimed from her desk.

Sticking up his middle finger behind his back for Jamie to clearly see, Cairo smiled down at essence once more before taking his leave.

Lawdd have mercy.

"Jamie who is that?" she questioned as as she took a seat in the chair in front of her desk. The  girls were supposed to have a lunch date but Jamie had to cancel last minute due to her busy schedule. Deciding to be such a great friend Essence brought food for her.

"That's Cairo , he's a client of mine. Super rich nigga that doesn't play bout his money."

"Cairo , just the name I need to add to my roster." Essence smirked as she fanned herself dramatically.

Her short break from men she took after breaking up with king had ended. She was now looking for men to put on her metaphorical roster. 

She decided to give herself a new routine. Anytime she wasn't working or sleeping the men on her roster would be put to use and keep her company as well as tend to her sexual and lavish needs.

"Roster? Fuck do you need a roster for?" Jamie asked looking at her crazy. She had just gotten out of an almost fourteen year relationship. She did not need no roster in her opinion.

" I need me some action bookie. I can't be the only one not getting dicked down, cause we both know Malaysia found herself a man and she just ain't telling us." Essence expressed.

"Alright girl."

*******

Dropping the remote from his hand Kareem reached over to his phone on the other side of the coach as it rang me. Looking at the caller ID he quickly answered once he realized it was his cousin Keontae calling him.

(I changed Malachi's name to Keontae so yeah.)

"Wassup cuz?" Keontae spoke on the other side of the line.

"Nothing much man, just chilling." Kareem responded. The two of them hadn't seen each other in months, more specifically since the wedding.

"Aye man I'm sorry about not showing up to the funeral. I just had a lot of shit going on and I wasn't in the right state of mind to be attending." Keontae felt terrible about missing the funeral, especially once he learned what had went down. Denise was his mother and he wasn't surprised to find out her and his father started a brawl at his uncle's funeral. That's just how his parents were when they felt passionate about something. Which is exactly why they aren't together anymore.

"It's cool, but your gonna have to tell what was so important that you missed the funeral for. Aight?"

"Yeah."

After chatting for a little longer the two cousins said their goodbyes and hung up.

Closing his eyes Kareem leaned back in the couch prepping to take short nap when knocks sounded from his apartment door.

Standing up with a groan, he made his way to the door and took a look through the peep hole and caught sight of the person he's been aching to see.

Opening the door with a smile,Kareem yanked Jamie's arm and pulled her into a deep hug.

"I missed you."

————
BREAKING NEWS!!!
WHEN WE WERE YOUNG IS ENDING IN JUST A FEW CHAPTERS😭

Have no fear tho.
Cause it's a series

Y'all like the name changes?