21.

DISCLAIMER! I am 15 so ntm.

You may proceed with your readings.

"Today we gather to mourn the loss of Darius Messiah Gray." The words of the pastor became nothing but background noise to Kareem. He couldn't cope with his dads death, he didn't believe it. So he pretended it never happened. Pretended his dad was at home making a batch of mac and cheese. Pretended it was just some sick prank someone was playing on him.

But the delusion came to a grinding halt when he was dragged to the funeral by Jamie.

He wouldn't have gone if it wasn't for Jamie, he wouldn't have accepted anything if it wasn't for her.

The harsh reality was his father was dead and their was nothing he could do about it.

Sitting in the front row alongside his siblings, Kareem sat emotionless. He was meant to sit next to Jamie but they were inevitably separated so Kareem could sit with his family.

The church was packed full of people that knew Darius. He was very well known throughout the community. He gave shelter and food for the people in need and helped keep young boys off the streets.

As the service progressed Kareem was trying to pay attention but he felt like he was underwater. Everything sounded muffeled and he couldn't breath.

Everything surrounding him became nothing but a blur. He needed to breath, and he couldn't breathe with all those people around him.

He needed to leave.

"You okay baby?" his grandmother asked when she noticed his shallow breathing.

Kareem didn't respond, he was too focused on trying to get air into his lungs. Taking deep breaths weren't working.

He really felt like he was gonna die.

Jamie, from the 3rd row could see Kareem shifting in his seat before ultimately getting up and bolting out of his seat, clutching his chest to which she followed.

Outside the church stood kareem, Standing hunched over as he continued to try to catch his breath whilst tears slid down his face.

Once Jamie stepped outside to comfort him she heard the heart wrenching sobs that escaped him. His whole body violently shook as he clenched his chest to desperately get some air into his lungs. The sight brought tears to her own eyes.

Slowly approaching him she reached for his neck and held him tightly as he cried.

Once she noticed he was still wheezing she quickly realized he was experiencing a panic attack, a severe one at that. And if he didn't stop panicking he would pass out.

Pulling back from the hug and grabbing his face, she began to whisper words that she hopped would calm him down.

"It's okay Kareem, your gonna be okay I just need you to breath with me okay?" she tried to mask her genuine fear for his safety with a smile but it wasn't working.

She was terrified.

"Take a deep breath with me, just like that. Good job Kareem, now breathe out."  slowly whispering words of encouragement as she coached him through the breathing techniques had slowly brought much needed air into Kareems lungs.

"You wanna go back in?" Jamie watched as he adamantly shook his head at the offer.

"Okay, we'll just sit out here for a while."  Grabbing his arm Jamie led him to the church steps where the pair then, took a seat.

They stared out into the gloomy sky as it started raining. As if the sky could feel their sorrows and mourned alongside them.

Jamie and Kareem sat outside until the service ended and the casket was being carried out to  be taken to the burial site.