18.

"Hello."  J'shaun answered.

"Hello sir, this is Linda Baker from child protective services we would like to know if you would be willing to take you your niece Nayeli Davis into your custody as she had been removed from her mothers due to child neglect and you are listed as next of kin."

J'ahaun wasn't shocked to hear that his niece was removed from his sisters custody. She was a mess at best. From what he had saw over the last few years she was incredibly unstable.

"Yeah, I'll come get her this afternoon after talking to my wife."

After disclosing more information to J'shaun they hung up.

"Kiara! Come over here real quick." J'shaun yelled toward the kitchen to where his wife was cooking breakfast. Today they both had they day off and decided to spend a much needed relaxation day together.

"Yeah babe?" Kiara said entering the living where J'shaun was sitting with his head in his hands which alerted immediate concern from her.

Taking a seat next to him she placed her hand on his back and rubbed it in a southing matter.

"What's wrong Jay?" she asked with concerned expression."

Keeping his head in his hands he let out a sigh before looking at his wife. "Social services just called me. And they're saying I need to come down there and get my niece."

"Your niece as in your trifling ass sisters daughter who you've never met, that niece?"

"Yeah."

"Are you planning on taking her in?" She asked as she slowly inched away from him.

At the sudden loss of contact J'shaun's head shot up from his hands only to be greeted by his wife's grim expression.

"I am, she has no other family that wants her other than me, so imma be there for her no matter what." He stated firmly.

Kiara simply stared. She knew that if they didn't take her in she would end up in foster care but she couldn't help the bitterness that settled Within her. Nayeli was the baby her brother so badly wanted to be his, the baby that made her brother unrecognizable. Even though nothing that happened was Nayeli's fault she couldn't help but indirectly hate her for what her mother did.

"We're taking her in. We have an extra room and we're financially secure enough to raise a toddler." He could just tell by the look on her face that she wasn't for the idea. " I know all that your thinking about right now is Kareem,but right now just bare with me okay. Just think about all the hell she endured whilst living with shakiyah."

Grabbing her hands in a tight manner he looked deep in her eyes looking for any type of answer. Once he didn't find what he was looking for he let go of he hands and abruptly stood up. "Your coming with me to pick her up so be ready by 1pm."

"Whatchu mean by I'm coming with you. it's one thing to force a baby on me but it's another to not let me have a say in the situation." She yellled as she too took a stance.

"Deal with it." He said before making his way to their shared room and slamming the door.

It seems that no matter how many times they argued Shakiyah was always the root of the problem.

*****

Silently sitting at the kitchen table of her childhood home Jamie looked around at all the family pictures on the walls. Her parents had made their trip back from Ghana and had invited her and her siblings over. And of course Jamie was the only one who showed up on time. As always.

Watching her mother glide around the kitchen making sure everything was set as if she was a ballerina amused Jamie. Mostly because she had just gotten off a 14 hour flight. Her father sat passed out on the coach watching soccer as they waited impatiently for her brothers.

"Do you have a boyfriend yet ." Jamie's mother Charlotte asked as she sat across from her. "Your aunty shared a article on WhatsApp saying you were dating some basketball player."

"Mama we've been over this many times I have no plans on getting married anytime soon. I'm more worried about making more money." She replied rolling her eyes. " plus's he not my boyfriend."

Opening her mouth to reply, charlotte was cut of by the sound of the doorbells instinctive ringing.

"Your golden children are here!" Jamie said with a sarcastic smile as she watched her mother dash to the door to see her brothers.

She didn't have that reaction When she saw me. She thought to herself as she pouted. Standing up she made her way to the coach and plopped next to her dad who she scared awake.

"Dad, don't fall asleep Jerome and Jakai are here."

" I wasn't sleep, I was just resting my eyes." Her father, Christopher replied. Jamie truly believed her eyes would get stuck by how hard she had rolled her eye at her fathers comment. He had been saying the same thing from when she was a kid.

"What's up sis." Looking away from the tv Jamie was greeted by her eldest and most annoying brother Jakai.

Unlike his sibling, Jakai had taken A much lighter complexion then his dark skin siblings. These led to various conversations on Jamie trying to convince Jakai he was adopted. He worked as a music producer even though he studied medicine in university due to his greys anatomy addiction.

Aside from his light skin complexion you wouldn't be able to tell he and Jamie were related at all. He had long palm rolled dreads that he had been growing since he was eighteen. And always wore glasses since he was deemed legally blind. His nose was also much smaller then hers.

Rolling her eyes once more. Jamie made a big show of dramatically raising from the coach and throwing herself on him. "Oh how I missed you so much big brother."

"Mmcht you do to much." He said shoving her back into the coach.

Soon after Jerome, Amira and Marianna all walked in. "Grandpa!" Amira shouted before jumping on Christopher, knocking the wind out of him.

Later that evening the family was seated at the decorative table, with all the food spread out. Just as charlotte was about to start a prayer Marianna stood up and ran to the bathroom with Jerome close behind her ,where they could her her throwing up.

"Is now a bad time to mention I got a girl pregnant." Jakai said readjusting himself in his seat.