Daddy...

Phayu's pov

My eyes flick up from my phone and I find Rain standing there on the front porch, looking ethereal and he doesn't even seem to know it. Seeing that he's already feeling rather embarrassed, I don't make a fuss and just tell him, "Let's go?"

Throughout the car ride, I notice that there seems to be something bothering Rain. He's bouncing his knees, constantly looking at his phone and chewing out his lips—making it even harder for me not to look at them.

I turn my eyes back to the road; we might get into an accident if I keep getting distracted. And I casually ask, "Rain, is everything okay?"

And to this, he replies, "Yes, I'm fine. I'm fine."

I'm less than convinced but before I can follow up, he pipes up, "Actually, P'Phayu, I, uh, really need to use the restroom. Do you think you can drop me off at the entrance?"

He seemed okay earlier but it isn't something I want to question so I nod and as soon as we reach the theatre, I drop him off. The place is new and they have yet to offer valet services; I have no choice but to park first before I can follow Rain. I just hope he doesn't get lost.

~~~

Later that evening, I meet with the owner and the person who entrusted me with such a valuable project, sir Pakin. He only has nice things to say about how the theatre turned out which makes me feel happy and proud.

But what's putting me in an even better mood is the fact that Rain is with me tonight. I meant to introduce him to pretty much everyone I knew but he seems a bit nervous and I don't want to overwhelm him.

The only person I ended up introducing him to—against my will—is Prapai who practically introduced himself. I pull him away before he starts saying weird things but at that very moment, I hear Rain exclaim, "Shit!"

I whip my head towards him, wondering what could've warranted that kind of foul language and he says something about his bank account getting hacked. Now, I'm really getting suspicious. Something's up but just as I make up my mind that I won't press him to tell me and just wait until he's ready, a man who seems to know Rain comes into the picture.

The same man comes up to me and suddenly talks my ear off, something about Rain's past that I'm not quite following. That is until...

"But he ended up working as a junior architect for THE Phayu so it all worked out for the better."

Rain? Working for me as a junior architect? I glance at the boy in question but to my dismay, he can't meet my eyes and ends up leaving which can only mean that it's true—he's lying.

But why? And is it just with this man or...does he tell other people the same thing?

"So, how is Rain doing at work? He hasn't caused any trouble, has he?" He asks and I can tell from his choice of words that he's fishing for some negative information or he's trying to influence my impression of Rain...and it's getting on my nerves.

I take one last sip of my champagne before setting it down and I look this person straight in the eyes as I say, "Rain has never caused any problems. He's someone who has initiative and works well without much supervision but I guess, it doesn't hurt to have a competent senior. You know what they say, even a diamond needs a bit of polishing. Now, if you'll excuse me."

I loosen my tie as I go after Rain. I'm still not sure what this is about and I know Rain can't be entirely at fault but...I can't help but feel upset about this. 

It just...reminds me an awful lot of my ex and how, for the longest time, I believed that she genuinely loved me. I heard things but I didn't listen; I chose to trust her. And look how that turned out.