Final Chapter

The sun was warm and bright overhead and glittered on the calm blue sea

The sun was warm and bright overhead and glittered on the calm blue sea. A warm breeze stirred the muggy air, carrying the scent of salt and the tropical smell that he had always associated with Caiyi Island.

Lanzhan sat on the sand under the shade of a palm tree, sipping on a beer. He was supposed to be finishing up this project proposal, but he found that he wasn’t quite able to focus on it. And, if he was being completely honest, he shouldn’t have even been working. This was supposed to be a vacation . But he’d never been that good at relaxing.

Suddenly, there was a hand on his shoulder. Lanzhan looked up, and saw Weiying standing there, dressed for the beach. Their youngest son, Lan wǒ-ài, was perched on his hip, a floppy sun hat on his head. He smiled brightly up at him before he reached up and squeezed his son's pudgy toes.

“Hey, love, are you going for a swim?” Lanzhan asked

“Yes, we are.” Weiying gave him a pointed look. “We were hoping that Daddy would like to join us.”

Lanzhan smiled before he got to his feet, leaving his paperwork safely tucked into an envelope on his beach towel. He wrapped his arm around Weiying’s waist and pulled his family to him, pressing a kiss to Weiying’s lips before he took off the one year old’s hat and kissed his forehead.

“Of course I’ll join you guys,” Lanzhan told her. “How can I tell my favorite person no?”

Before they could move, a small figure burst out of the house and flew across the sand with a shout: “Last one 's a rotten egg!”

Lanzhan and Weiying laughed as they watched their four year old daughter, Lan Misha-li, sprint past them, rushing right for the water. Then Weiying looked up at him with a grin.

“Are you going to let beat you?” He taunted playfully.

“Hell no.”

Lanzhan took off across the sand, quickly catching up to her. He scooped his daughter into his arms and plowed into the warm water. The sound of her giggles melted him, and he kissed her cheek.

“No fair, Daddy!” Misha-li protested. “No fair!”

“We beat Mommy and brother,” Lanzhan told her, pointing towards Weiying and the baby, who were making their way across the sand.

His eldest daughter wrapped her arms around his neck. “I think we tied anyway.”

Weiying padded quietly into the living room. “They’re both asleep. I think they really wore themselves out.”

Lanzhan slipped his hand around his waist when he came closer and pulled him onto the couch beside him. Weiying settled into the hollow of his side before he let out a yawn.

“Sounds like they wore you out, too,” Lanzhan murmured as he kissed his temple.

he chuckled. “What’s new there? I think I’ve been in a constant state of exhaustion since I found out I was pregnant the first time.” His hand fell onto his belly, and the small bump there, as he let out a chuckle. “And now I’m doing it again.”

He placed his hand over his

He placed his hand over his. “You are seriously the most amazing Omega. I don’t know how I got so lucky.”

“I do. Your ass was about to get deported, so you asked me to marry you,” Weiying teased. “And I said yes. Like a psychopath.”

“Aw, but you’re my psychopath,” Lanzhan jokes, squeezing him briefly. He brought his hand up to cup his cheek and turn his face towards him so he could kiss him. “And now look at us. We’ve come so far.”

“These have been the happiest years of my life,” Weiying told him.

He smiled softly at him. “Mine too.”

Weiying returned his smile. “Happy anniversary.”

“Happy anniversary, love,” Lanzhan said before he kissed him again.

“To think we thought we’d be getting divorced right about now,” Weiying murmured thoughtfully.

“Instead, we’re here,” Lanzhan said. “Five years in, and many more to go.”

”