Chapter-10

“Well, overall, I think that went better than either of us expected.” Weiying took a drink of his first-class cocktail. It was still strange sitting in this part of the plane, rather than commercial. he eyed Lanzhan and his slightly-swollen lip. “Aside from my brother punching you in the face.”

“And your parents are pressuring us into getting married in a month. And the awkward birthday dinner. Oh, and let’s not forget the Baby Maker.” Lanzhan tipped his own drink down his throat. “But other than all of that, yeah, everything went great.”

Weiying snorted. “I’m just glad my parents took the whole you not supposed to leave the country thing well.”

“Yeah, same. I guess you were right.” Lanzhan rubbed his eyes wearily with one hand. “Still, I don’t think it won me any favors with them, though.”

Weiying let out a sigh. “It doesn’t matter. It’s over. We made it through.”

Lanzhan shook his head. “This is just the beginning. They’ll be out for the wedding, and then there will be holiday visits and phone calls and the expectations of grandkids, and then wondering why we haven’t had any yet, and then the inevitable divorce—”

“Okay, that’s enough for you.” Weiying reached over and pulled the glass from his hand, ignoring the way his skin tingled where his fingers brushed against his. “We will deal with all of that when we come to it, okay? In the meantime, it’s nice to know we can pull this off, don’t you think?”

“Yeah, I guess.” Lanzhan leaned his head back against the seat and exhaled deeply. He’d been helping himself to the complimentary liquor, and his head was starting to buzz. “I’ll...call my mom tomorrow. Let her know about...the wedding.”

“A month isn’t a long time to plan a wedding,” Weiying muttered. “At least my parents were understanding about why we couldn’t get married in Lotus Pier.”

Lanzhan scrubbed his hand down his face. “I’m sure it didn’t win me any brownie points with them. They were already skeptical of me. I don’t think that helped.”

“You don’t know my parents. They’re pretty understanding, for the most part. They might not be thrilled , but it’s not the end of the world.” Weiying eyed him. “What about your mom? How do you think she’s going to take it?”

Lanzhan let out a huff of air. “If she didn’t think this was bullshit before, she’ll definitely know it once I tell her.”

“Well, it’s not our fault. My parents pushed it on us.” Weiying shrugged. “And maybe it’s better this way, you know? It keeps immigration out of our hair. The sooner we’re married, and all of that.”

“Yeah, maybe you’re right.”

“Think of it this way: the sooner we get hitched, the quicker the five years will be up. And getting married sooner leaves less opportunity for one of us to get cold feet.”

Lanzhan glanced over at him, arching his brow. “Who are you trying to convince? Me or you?”

Weiying offered him a small, helpless smile. “Both?”

Lanzhan chuckled dryly. Then he peeked over at him again. “So, I was thinking. We’ll be landing pretty late...you might not be able to get a taxi or Uber or whatever back to your area. Why don’t you stay at my place tonight?”