Chapter-11

Weiying drummed his fingers across the tabletop. his eyes flickered back and forth between the door and the clock on the wall, wondering when Wen Qing would be coming in to conduct his interview. The lawyer had been with Lanzhan for almost an hour.

Anxiety twisted in Weiying’s stomach

Anxiety twisted in Weiying’s stomach. his palms were slick with sweat and heat crept across his skin. The eggs Lanzhan had cooked for him that morning were soaring in his belly and he almost wished he hadn’t eaten at all.

His mind was running in circles, spitting back answers of everything he had learned about Lanzhan over the last few weeks. He felt mostly confident. They had drilled and drilled and drilled facts about each other into their heads. There was no way they were going to mess this up.

They had all of their answers straight. There was too much riding on this for them not to. But the waiting...it was going to be the death of him.

Suddenly, the door opened and Wen Qing came into the room. Weiying stopped drumming his fingers on the table and sat up straight in his chair. The lawyer’s face was stoic, making it impossible for Weiying to gauge how Lanzhan might have fared.

“Good morning, Wei Wuxian.” Wen Qing sat across from Weiying. She opened up a file and set a tape recorder on the table, which she turned on. “This interview will be recorded. You are to answer each question directly, honestly, and succinctly. If you do not know the answer, it is acceptable to say that you aren’t sure or don’t know. Do you understand?”

“Yes,” Weiying said.

Wen Qing nodded. “Let’s begin.” she looked down at the file. “You are applying for a marriage-based visa for your fiancé, Lan Wangji. Is that correct?”

“Yes,” Weiying answered.

“I’m going to ask some questions about your relationship with Lan Wangji to assess the validity of your application.” Wen Qing's sharp eyes pierced him. “Where did you meet?”

“Cloud Recesses Office,” Weiying answered coolly. At least this was the truth. “I was hired as his assistant fifteen months ago.”

Wen Qing marked down an answer. “When did your relationship become romantic?”

Never , Weiying thought. “Six months ago.”

“What did the two of you have in common?” Wen Qing asked.

“We um, share a passion for marketing,” Weiying answered lamely. “And we like martial arts, horror movies, and history. We go to a lot of museums.”

“Where was your first date?”

My apartment, Lanzhan, had said that when they discussed it . I made homemade sushi, a traditional Dish. Then we watched the newest Conjuring movie.

“It was at his apartment,” Weiying replied. “He made sushi for us, which I had never eaten. Then we watched the new Conjuring movie.”

Wen Qing nodded as she wrote down Weiying’s answer, but it wasn’t a nod that told Weiying if he was doing well, or if the answer lined up with what Lanzhan had said.