33. The Half-Blood Guard

They had been following a maze of narrow paths for some time now. We are close to the Passage of Options, but we have strayed before reaching it. I can already smell where we are going, to the chestnut trees clearing, following a different route than the one I took with Lily that afternoon, because then we took a detour to go for blackberries. Since Steed is appreciating my sincerity so much, I'm going to tell him.

"I think I know where we're going. To a wide clearing where there are trees with edible fruits."

"Yeah, you've got it right. I see that you did not lie to us when you told us that you knew the Forest well. Do you know how to cut across?"

"I do."

"Then go ahead."

They continued across the field. He's still watching me, but now he's doing it to make the girl feel safe. She is in the middle of both boys, protecting her in front and behind her. What Lauren was saying, she's the worst duelist.

They reached the clearing, which still had some snow on it. This way we won't hurt so much with the falls. How will they do in autumn, when it is full of fruits? We could have discovered them that afternoon, but there was a trip to Hogsmeade and it was their turn to spy.

Steed proposed, "How about Snape warding it, since he's the expert?"

He is already beginning to demonstrate to the others that he fully trusts me, but without failing to consult them. Sev kept his back to them, not drawing his wand yet, so as not to embarrass them if they refused. They take time to respond, silent conversation.

Fairbank spoke at last, "Okay, Jack, but we'll check."

There it is, the one that is going to give me problems. Although she knows that I've been helping her boyfriend for almost two months, she doesn't care at all, she wants to impose her criteria. Well, I'll have to sweet-talk her.

"Sure. Snape, anytime," Steed said. Sev began to circle the clearing, conjuring the Muffliato and the Disillusioner, verbal.

When he finished, he put his wand back away, facing away from the others again, arms folded. The boys flanked him, on guard. Of course, she herself is the one who is going to check it, she doesn't even trust them. Or what Lauren says, she's not a very good duelist and they have to protect her because she's going to stop seeing me and I'll still see her. Inept, instead of pretending. She must be stepping out.

"Can you hear us, Deborah?" Steed yelled.

She's already outside, now she doesn't see us but she will have heard the buzz.

A few seconds passed. "All right."

"Okay, let's get started then."

The three of them took turns removing their cloaks, keeping an eye on him, hanging them from the branches of the trees. They are wearing good Muggle clothes, like Lauren, more comfortable also than the cloak to fight, and she, of course, trousers. But if I take it off too, I'm going to skin myself from the cold, at least until I'm warm, I only wear my uniform under it.

Steed led, addressing Sev, "We are going to start testing you, you and me will fight. Without disarming, non-verbal, and no curses. Try your best, give everything you have."

Let the cloak catch a fresh wind, now I'm sure I'll be warm. He took it from himself and hung it up too. Steed was already waiting for him on guard almost at the edge of the clearing. He positioned himself at a similar distance from the edge, quite a distance from each other, about fifteen paces. Fairbank and Stevens stepped to the side, also standing guard, facing Sev.