Chapter 44: The Goddess of the Underworld

Start from the beginning

"The Gate?" Piña questioned, seeking clarification.

"Don't you already know what the Gate signifies on this continent?" Mike asked, puzzled by her question.

"Our worlds-" Mike began, but Hardy interrupted him abruptly.

"No," she interjected, causing everyone to grow even more perplexed.

"It has to do with the fate of the two worlds connected by the Gate," she explained, her voice carrying an air of significance.

"So you wish to understand both sides' perspectives on the Gate," Mike deduced, trying to make sense of her words.

"Indeed," she confirmed, her voice calm and composed as she took another sip of her tea.

"The world is like a vast stream that has been flowing since the dawn of time. Countless streams traverse the chaotic plains of space-time, meandering through mountains and valleys, sometimes converging with other streams. And with a small application of power, the two worlds come into contact, forming the Gate," Hardy elucidated, her words painting a vivid picture in the team's minds.

"After a while, they separate and continue on their respective paths. The Gate on Alnus was originally a tiny hole connecting the two worlds, but the Empire's magicians arrived and created a magic device to keep the Gate permanently open," Hardy continued, her tone carrying a hint of intrigue.

"You can think of it as anchoring a ship to a stone wharf. Time keeps flowing, and while the ship is tied down, it resists but eventually succumbs to the flow. The wharf begins to crack and groan under the strain," Hardy explained, her words painting a vivid metaphorical image.

She chuckled softly, her eyes sparkling with amusement, before refocusing her gaze on the team.

"I'm sure the continent has already felt the tremors," she added, causing a shiver to run down the spines of the Falmartians, who had been quietly observing the conversation.

Rory, growing frustrated, decided to question Hardy about her intentions.

"Hardy, what is your goal in all of this?" she inquired, her voice laced with both suspicion and concern.

Hardy calmly took another sip of her tea, contemplating her response.

"I wish for this world to become splendid and beautiful," she answered, her smile radiating an air of deceit

"So you plan to tear it apart afterward?" Rory pressed, her eyes narrowing with skepticism.

Hardy's smile widened, a glint of mischief dancing in her eyes.

"Perhaps," she replied cryptically, leaving the team with more questions than answers.