Chapter 28: Strange Encounters

8:32 PM Falmart Time

It was getting late.

The delays that they had suffered had turned what should have been a single day's trip into something much longer.

Mike was about to tell James to pull over so they could set up camp and get some sleep when he spotted smoke in the distance.

Looking through his binoculars, he could see several plumes of smoke rising from behind a nearby hill.

They didn't look too large, so he assumed they must have been campfires or something similar.

Mike doubted anything large was burning.

He viewed his tired and exhausted Marine inside the Cougar.

If this was another fight, he doubted they'd be operating at anywhere near full capacity.

Still, Mike couldn't just let a potential threat go unchecked.

Exhausted or not, they had to go on.

When the vehicles rolled over the hill that blocked their view, Mike initially thought they'd discovered another Saderan army or just some Bandit's, but no.

Masses of covered wagons were parked up near campfires.

There must have been at least a hundred people in the area.

Tired as he was, Mike nearly ordered the gunner to open fire to cover their retreat.

Thankfully, he took a second look before committing another War Crime.

None of them he could see were wearing armor or Imperial colors, the camp was completely unorganized, and not a single banner showing any allegiance was risen in the sky.

These were not soldiers, these were refugees.

Mike guesses they must have been the villagers that had fled Etoa and perhaps a few from other villages as well.

"Marines, head into the camp slowly. We don't want to scare anyone." Mike said over his radio.

"Going to be friendly and not start shooting this time?" It was Simon who spoke, always the curious one.

Mike yawned.

"That's the plan Corporal." Mike said cocking his M4.

-

The vehicles of Hunter 2-1 was by no means quiet vehicles.

They we're fantastic machines in many regards, but it was not built for any sort of stealth aside for the StrykerX and AbramsX.

Because of this, it was no surprise when Mike found the entire camp gathered to watch the Vehicles drive into their makeshift home.

He sighed as the horde of people ran to where he'd ordered the driver's to park.

This many people was a serious threat, who knew how many Imperial soldiers were disguised in the crowd.