Chapter 1 - Midnight Run

It was an especially chilly and snow-blanketed night in the town of Penrose. Christmas decorations plastered the town centre and all throughout the suburbs, preparing for the coming month. Some would consider it too early as it was only November 24th, but I loved the sights, smells, and feel of Christmas itself. One can never be too early setting up for Christmas unless you had kids of course which thank the heavens, I did not.

The streets were mainly clear of vehicles as it was a heavy night of snow, but a lot of the townsfolk were out and about, heading into nearby restaurants and other spontaneous places fit for a Saturday night. Our town wasn't huge but it wasn't tiny either, it had the perfect amount of people to the point my best friend and I wouldn't be spotted and snitched on by the locals we knew walking around.

The pulsating and rhythmic beats of Penrose's best club, Midnight Run, echoed throughout the town, you could hear it from miles away. One would think there'd be heavy complaints forcing it to shut down or at least lower the noise, but the club seemingly had a hold over this town.

It's as if the place was a trance in itself. Midnight Run frequently brought people from all over the world into our tiny town. Not only did it bring a successful tourism market, but it also brought in enough money to keep the town running on its own. Drugs, alcohol, and music really are the things most would pay an absurd amount for. Nonetheless, it didn't matter if the noise was obnoxiously loud, that even the houses near the town centre could hear it. The Mayor would never get rid of the place. The eerie black box of a building was Penrose's little tourist hotspot and most importantly, their money maker.

"Raven Backster," I muttered angrily, under a frost-covered breath.

Staring at the piece of plastic once more, I examined the bold lettering for the hundredth time today. The heat of my embarrassment warmed me to the point I had no care for the snow that was seeping into my open-toed heels.

"Al, it's not that bad. At least you're not Georgina Clooney." With a dramatic wave of her hand and mocking facial expression, Valerie flashed her fake id toward me, a giant grin plastering her freckle-dusted face.

Valerie looked beautiful in that picture. Her long and fiery-red curls framed her structured and sharp jawline, whilst the makeup she chose to wear that day, made her emerald-green eyes pop. As always, she was beautiful.

Mocking her grin, I replied sharply "True, I guess you could be my Chelsea."

Rolling her eyes she replied, "See, I don't know if I should take that as a compliment, or as a ginger joke. If so, rude" she jokingly said elbowing me in the stomach lightly.

"I mean, you do have ginger hair, therefore you are ginger," I stated bluntly.

"The hottest ginger you know." she winked and flicked her hair back sensually, confidence and glow radiating off of her.

"I mean your dad isn't too ba-"

"Oh, gross!" she cut me off so hard she turned away in disgust, "that was the last thing I wanted to hear, ever." I laughed in response.

Val's dad, James, is the hunk of Penrose. Every wife in this town would leave their marriage to be with James. He's well known for his good looks and he's one of the best police officers in town. Val inherited whatever godly gene her father had apparently, which is why my statement earlier definitely proves true to most.

At this point the line wasn't moving, there were a few people in front of us and the club had already looked packed for 11 pm.

"It's 2018, you think they have better equipment that scans fake IDs?" I asked. It was a genuine question, you never know these days.