Saying goodbye

I woke up after just a couple of hours sleep. I had to go to my room, shower and pack my bag but I still had about ten minutes. I woke Leah up and said “Hey Le, we need to get up” she opened her eyes but she quickly shut them again and said “No. It’s too bright” I laughed at her. I got up and got her some painkillers and some water she said “Thanks, how are you feeling?”

I said “I’m tired but I’m ok. I need to see my mum and dad. It’s just going to be hard leaving you though”

Leah half smiled and said “I know, I’m not looking forward to that either”

I said “I have to go or we will be late” she just smiled at me. I bent down and gave her a kiss. “I’ll see you downstairs”

“Ok, see you in a bit” and I left.

We was at Trafalgar Square we were standing back stage waiting to go on. A lot of the girls had sunglasses on because of their hang overs from all the partying last night. We were called onto the stage by Alex Scott who was hosting the celebration. First she spoke to Sarina she reflected on what had happened after the final and what it means for us all. Then our Captain Leah spoke she paid tribute to Sarina and the legacy that we hope to have left behind after our win not just for England but other countries to. Then the goalscorers of the final were spoken to Ella Toone and Chloe Kelly.

After that Alex spoke to her former teammates Lucy Bronze and Jill Scott. Then of course our keeper Mary Earps had a few things to say.

Leah lifted the trophy again. The crowd went wild. Then we all sang ‘sweet caroline’ with the fans. Then Rachel sang ‘River deep, Montain high’ she had sang this a number of times during the euros.

We were then ushered off the stage to the waiting bus. Which would take us back to the hotel to collect our stuff and say our goodbyes. I know most of the girls were staying in London to celebrate more but I had to go home with everything that had happened while I’ve been away.

All the girls were in the conference room. I spoke to almost everyone and said my goodbyes but there were a few people left. I had to speak to them altogether because I couldn’t do it more than once.

I got Beth, Lucy, Kiera and of course Leah together. I said “I don’t have much time left but I just needed to tell all of you how grateful I am. You are my chosen family and always will be. I love you guys”

Beth said “We love you to. We are only a phone call away if you need us”

“Come here Kid” Lucy pulled me into a hug and the others all joined. I think we all had tears in our eyes. I was so overwhelmed with emotion right now.

My phone went off. It was a message, my car was ready. I hugged Kiera, Lucy and Beth one more time. I went to hug Leah but she said “I’ll walk you out” I got my bags and we walked outside to the car. The driver put my stuff in the boot and I asked him to give me a minute.

I looked into those blue eyes and my own eyes started tearing up again I said “I’m going to miss you”

“Me to” she said

For me there was only one thing left to say so I did “I’m so in love with you Leah Williamson”

Leah smiled and said “I’m in love with you too Dani Scott”

I smiled back at her and hugged her. We seemed to hold each other a little bit tighter this time. I pulled away and got into the car with tears rolling down my cheeks. I could see that Leah was crying to.

The driver pulled away. I waved and then thought to myself when will I see this girl next.