Quarter-final vs Spain

It’s been 2 days since I found out that my sister had passed away. Leah has spent every free minute that she has had with me. Beth arranged a movie night last night for me. We watched Grease, she knows that it’s one of my favourite films. Both Beth and Lucy had been amazing as well they made sure that I wasn’t on my own at all. They knew that I needed my friends around me.

I was the first person on the coach for a change. Leah wasn’t far behind. I could tell she wanted to sit next to me to make sure that I was ok. I don’t actually mind because I needed to be close to her right now.

As soon as she sat down, I put my head on her shoulder. None of the girls questioned it as they knew we were close and had been friends for a long time. Me and Leah ended up listening to one of her playlists. I wasn’t in the mood to listen to anything upbeat. I never moved during the whole journey. I didn’t even notice that we had arrived at the Amex until Leah nudged me and softly said “We are here”

We both got up and got our stuff. We were the first ones in the changing room.

We put our stuff down and went to inspect the pitch. I walked out with Leah. Beth caught up to us. I was walking in the middle of them. When we got to the family area I stopped and looked up to the seats. No one was here yet. Then I thought to myself that she would never come to watch one of my games again. My eyes started watering. Beth turned to me and said “She will still be watching” I smiled at her. I knew what she meant.

Then Leah said “Are your Mum and Dad coming?”

I replied “No not today. My dad has taken it really hard. He won’t even leave the house. I told my mum that he needed her more than I did. I’ve got both of you and Lucy. You don’t understand how grateful I am that you have been here for me”

Beth said “We will always be. That’s what friends do” I turned to Beth and gave her a hug.

Leah said “Come on, Lets go and get ready” We followed Leah back to the changing room.

Sarina thankfully tested negative for Covid and was able to make the game. She told us what we needed to do as a team.

The starting 11 was again unchanged.

We were in the tunnel I was stood next to Beth. This was actually the first time at the tournament. I looked over to Leah and she was already looking at me. She smiled and I smiled back. It was our ritual for this tournament I had to.

We walked out to the pitch and lined up. Usually, I would look to the stands to find my family but I knew they wasn’t going to be there so I closed my eyes instead and just took in the atmosphere.

We sang the national anthem. Leah did her captains duties then joined the rest of us in the huddle, she came in next to me and put her hand on my back which calmed me. Lucy hyped us all up and we shouted team then moved to our positions.

The ref blew the whistle and we were underway. It is a little back and forth for the first few minutes. In the 7th minute they had their first chance from a corner which I conceded. I passed the ball back to Leah but it was poor and went out of play. The corner is taken, Paredes gets a head to it but its off target. That’s a let off for us. I try to pull myself together and get my head in the game.

In the 13th minute Beth is brought down but the ref waves play on. I am outraged but I cant let it get to me.

4 minutes later Spain has the first shot on target but Mary saves it and is able to keep a hold of the ball.

Spain are in control of the game and have most of the possession. When we do have the ball, their players are going in hard on us.

The first half an hour has gone by Leah and Millie have been rocks at the back. They have definitely kept us in this game.

In the 32nd minute Spain have another corner but its punched clear by Mary. But the ball falls to Bonmati and with a first time shot it flies high and wide.

We have a free kick in the 37th minute. Ellen converts it into the net. The crowd is going wild. VAR is checking. It’s disallowed for offside. The score is still 0-0.

We seem to have gotten a little bit of a foothold in the game. In the 40th minute Hemp with a header but it’ well wide. She should of done better.

Mapi picks up a yellow card at the end of the half for clattering Stanway.

Not long after that the whistle blows for the end of the half.

We go into the changing rooms Sarina and Leah have a few things to say. A brief summary is we need to improve in possession of the ball and we need to be more clinical.

 Sarina’s last words to us is you have 11 days to change your lives. Let’s do this.

We return to the pitch and start again.

We start more confidently in this half. We look so much better but then in the 54th minute. I overcommitted in a tackle on Del Castillo and she gets past me. She cuts the ball back to Gonzalez who takes a touch and fires low into the back of the net.

I put my head in my hands I knew it was my fault. Leah comes over and tells me to keep my head up we still have plenty of time to come back. I just nod.

In the 58th minute Sarina makes a double sub, Beth and Ellen are off. Coming on is Kelly and Russo.

2 minutes later Hemp is brought down in the penalty area but she gets penalised for diving. She is livid. It goes to VAR and they agree with the ref.

In the 64th minute Toone comes on for Fran.

A minute later Mary saves a shot from Spain. This time she doesn’t keep a hold of it but thankfully Millie gets the ball clear.

In minute 67 I play a one-two with Toone before releasing a low shot but its held by the Spanish keeper.

In the 74th minute Del Castillo gets by me again. Why am I struggling to track her. I’m getting frustrated with myself.

In the 84th minute Toone scores a volley with an assist from Russo. This duo is at it again. We all run to Toone to congratulate her.

There’s 5 minutes of added time neither team has a clear-cut chance. The whistle blows for fulltime. We are going to extra time.

In the 96th minute I find myself 20 yards out. Kiera passes the ball to me and I unleash it. It flies into the far corner. I scored I can’t believe it. I run over to the fans tap the badge then point to the sky. That was for my sister. I am soon ambushed by my teammates congratulating me.

Both teams have a couple of chances that come to nothing. That’s it. We have beat Spain 2-1 and we are in the semi-finals.  I can’t believe it. I shake hands with the Spanish players and hug my teammates. Who are all over the moon.

After the team huddle the players go over to their families to celebrate. I walk around the pitch and celebrate with the fans. I actually feel humbled. The support from the fans throughout this tournament has been amazing I just want to give a little back.