19

After drying off and putting on our still wet clothes on, we set up to back out. Didn't really matter, when it was still pouring, albeit lighter now. I lost my previous weapon down in the sewer, but that again wouldn't have matter when the damn thing is out. I huffed, picking up a shotgun. Not my first choice, but at least I've got something with my fire axe to conquer our next task.

Ellis was fidgeting with his hat, taking it on and off. Even turning it around to wear it backwards. He was looking at a sheet of metal, that gave the tiniest bit of reflection. Mostly just shapes and the colors. He still looked nervous, and sighed taking off his hat to stare at it.

Noticing the trouble his head was putting himself through, I walked over. "Ellis?" I asked, he turned looking a little flustered. I approached his personal space, taking his hat from his hands and setting it on his head the way he's always been wearing it. I brushed out his clothing and pinching the fabric to even make his chest look appealing. I looked at his face, licking my thumb and brushing it under his eyes to get rid of whatever dirt lingering. "There ya' go, looking handsome." I smiled, clasping my hands and backing away.

He reached his arm to his neck and scratched it. "Thanks, Jo..." He laughed, nervously. "Ahh... I'm a nervous wreck."

I looked into the metal sheet, seeing my own hair... I guess fine. "Whatever happens, I want you to know that you are a catch." I smiled weakly, feeling the heaviness in my heart. I tried to adjust my hair one last time, turning to him. I set my hand on his arm, looking softly into his eyes. "Any girl would be lucky to have you."

Ellis set his hand on mine, never taking his eyes off mine. "Any guy would be lucky to have you too, Jo... I've always thought you were beautiful from the moment I laid my eyes on you..." He mentioned, I couldn't take it anymore I started to drag my hand away, but his hand followed mine til he held onto my fingers. "I'm serious." He flashed another toothy grin, sending my heart over the edge...

I couldn't do it, I pulled back and crossed my arms to hug myself. "I think Zoey's waiting on us." I announced, turning back to the door as I've felt like I've just lost any chance with him. I understand, it's for the best anyways. I slung my fire axe over my shoulder and set my hand on the door to push it open. "Y'all ready?"

"Yuppers," Nick butted in, setting his hand on my lower back to push me out of the door frame. "At least when Ellis messes it up, I can still have my chance and take care of business." Nick mocked Ellis, sending him off with the doubt in his head. I glazed my eyes over at him to give him a nasty look, but he watched me intently. He... wanted something, and then it hit me like a shit ton of bricks.

"You'll need to find a woman who hates herself, and then she'll love you." Rochelle pushed between us to step towards the river side to watch the rain. Nick ignored her, smirking directly at me.

"Nah, I like a woman who can be screwed with at least a little." He laughed, never taking his eyes off me before he turned to go up the stairs.

"Oh my god." I muttered to myself, that means... "Oh my god..." I said, feeling a flush of red on my face. I pressed my hand on my mouth and felt even more flushed.

"Come on, Cupcake." Nick urged me again, climbing up the steps first.

Everyone passed me as I stared at Nick, finally realizing.

I think I just absolutely lost my mind thinking about him even hinting at it, this even explaining why he was so damn insistent on that nickname. Looking up the steps, seeing the bridge looming over us as we approach it. Nick approached them first, standing off to the side.

We saw the two that were in the bridge, but who was this man dressed in office attire? "Hello!" He waved to us as we rised up the steps. "I'm Louis! This is Zoey and Francis. I'm sorry, I didn't get your names."