chapter thirty nine

Start from the beginning

Sokka grabbed her hand and the two walked up the palace steps to the throne room. The palace guards who stood at the huge doors widened their eyes at the sight of her. They bowed to her. "Welcome back, Princess Naia," They said. Naia smiled at the two of them. They opened the large doors, allowing Naia and Sokka to enter.

As they reached the second set of doors to the throne room, Naia hesitated. A small part of her wanted to run again. Run back to Appa and fly away, never to return to the Northern Water Tribe. However, she knew it was the right thing to face her parents again. She took another deep breath and opened the door.

Her father has his back turned to the door. He was standing with his arm wrapped around Naia's mother. Naia hesitated and watched them for a second. It was rare that she caught them being so openly affectionate. It was a nice sight to see. As her father heard the door creak open, he turned around. Naia stared into his blue eyes, the same shade of blue that she shared with him. Once Naia's mother realized her husband was rendered speechless, she turned around as well. Naia interlocked eyes with both of her parents, waiting to see their reaction. Would they hug her? Would they yell at her and tell her to leave?

"Naia," Her father said. Tears started to well up in his eyes. Naia's mother placed her hand over her mouth in disbelief.

Naia's eyes started to tear up as she ran towards them. She threw her arms around the both of them and the three embraced in a long hug. Naia almost fell over because of how fast she flew into their arms. Naia, her father, and her mother all started to cry. Naia's father was the first to pull away. He cupped her cheeks with his hands and wiped away her tears. "I'm so glad to see you again. I can't believe this," He said. Naia cried even more. She's never seen her father this emotional.

"We didn't know if you were alive or dead," Naia's mother said, her voice trembling. "You shocked us when you left. It was really hard. Yue passed away and you left without warning. It was like we lost both of our daughters."

"I know," Naia said softly. "I'm sorry."

"I wish you didn't have to leave for us to realize how unhappy you were here," Her father said. Naia gulped and nodded. "I understand now. And I wanted to say, I am so proud of you. I've heard the impact that you've had on the war ending. I know that you have mastered water bending and sword fighting, and that you've just recently represented both of the water tribes at Prince Zuko's coronation. You are a beautiful, strong, and compassionate young woman. I couldn't be any more proud to call you my daughter. You are everything a true princess should be. I hope that somewhere in your heart you can forgive us, even if we have had our misunderstandings in the past."

Naia closed her eyes and more tears fell. Those words were something she wished her parents would say to her practically her whole life. "I forgive you," Naia said.

"I wish I can go back in time and allow you to make the choices you wanted to make about water bending and your marriage," Her father said again.

"Actually," Naia said with a small smile. "Father, you remember Sokka from the Southern Water Tribe, right?" Naia turned around and saw a timid looking Sokka peer through the door which was barely cracked open. He entered the room and walked over to Naia.

"Yes I do," Her father nodded. "Hello, Sokka. It's good to see you again," He said, sticking out his hand. The two shook forearms, the way that two water tribe men did when they were good friends. Naia interlocked arms with Sokka.

"There's so much I want to tell you," Naia said. "I just don't know where to start."

Naia told her parents all about her travels. Although the three of them have had their disagreements in the past, Naia felt their relationship turn over a new leaf. For once in her entire life, she felt heard and understood by them. Naia had a private talk with her father, who told her that she would be next in line to be chief of the Northern Water Tribe, with or without a husband. Naia was overjoyed to hear this. She thought for so long, her destiny would be anywhere but the Northern Water Tribe. But now, she realized that this is what she was meant to do: rule the Northern Water Tribe and implement positive changes to society.