Chapter Twenty Two.) Knock Knock

Start from the beginning

"And this should concern me...?"

I was lying. I was concerned.

"Will you just go talk to him?" she demands. I blink at her.

"You want me," I pointed at myself, "to go talk to Keith, who kidnapped me, so that I can comfort him or something?"

"Yeah. Exactly."

I gave her a flat look. "That's like asking me to surrender on the cow army and join the traitorous pig group."

"Would you do that?"

I gave her an offended look. "I would never leave the Cow Armada. #RespectTheMoo, okay?"

"Just go talk to him."

"No."

"Come on."

"No."

"Vanessa."

"No."

She snaps. "If you don't get your lazy ass off the fucking coach and go talk to him, I will take a blade and shove it up your ass so far until your shitting blood for the rest of your life. Now... Get. Up."

I cringed. "That was graphic."

She shrugs. "I try."

"If you weren't in a gang, I would offer you a job to be an author who writes horror novels," I nodded, realizing I'm assigning jobs to every person in the gang. So far, I have Ethan the Therapist and Angela the Horror Writer.

"Go," she points to the stairs. "Be gone, peasant."

"Okay, okay," I groan, moving to the stairs slowly. I so do not want to talk to Keith right now.

I stand in front of Keith's bedroom door and purse my lips to the side before any amazing idea comes to me. A sneaky grin grows on my face as I go open the door to my room slightly and return to Keith's bedroom. I knock and quickly rush to my room, leaving it open only a slight inch.

I hear the door creak open before it closes again. I wait a minute for safety and make my way back out, knocking on the door again and then rushing back to my room. Again, the door opens.

I cover my mouth with my hand to prevent from laughing out loud. Once I'm sure the door is closed, I peek out and walk back over to Keith's door again. Then, just as I'm about to knock again, the door flies open and Keith had grabbed my wrist. I gasp, and my heart beats loudly at being caught.

"What the hell are you doing?" he hisses.

"I'm just playing," I whined, trying to pull my hand from his grasp. I didn't like the tingles that erupted every time he touched me.

He grips my wrist harder. "Well, stop. If you want to come in, you only have to knock once."

When he finally lets go of my wrist, I frown and rub the area where his grip was too tight. "Fat pig," I mutter.

"What did you say?"

"Nothing," I smile sweetly at him. He rolls his eyes and walks back into his room, not bothering to close the door. I take that as an invitation to come in. He takes a seat at his desk, not saying anything.

"Why are you acting so weird?" I finally ask.

"I'm not acting weird," he mumbles as he goes through some papers.

I take another step closer to him. "Yes, you are," I sigh. "Is this about the kiss?"

He doesn't respond.

"Look, I'm sorry, okay?" My tone is frustrated as I speak. "I'm sorry if I'm a bad kisser or if my breath smelled bad while you were kissing me but you kind of caught me off guard."

"What are you talking about?"

I continued on as if I hadn't heard him. "I mean, you don't act like you're attracted to me or anything. You freakin' saw me naked and didn't even react so I didn't think you're attracted to me. How was I supposed to know you were gonna kiss me? I would have at least tried to watch kissing videos or chewed some gum or ate a breath mint to help the situation."

"Vanessa-"

"But I guess it really hurt when you just all of a sudden pulled away when I responded and now you won't speak to me. Rejection hurts, you know."

"Listen-"

"Well, I guess it doesn't matter anyways. But I just want to know why you kissed me in the first place. If you say you just felt like it, I will slap you," I threatened. "Why do you guys just always assume it's okay to kiss a girl just because you want to without any true feelings behind it and-"

"Vanessa!" he stops me. I clamp my mouth shut when I realize he has something to say. He sighs.

"You're absolutely absurd sometimes," is all he says. He raises his hand when I open my mouth to reply and continues.

"No, I didn't pull away because you were a bad kisser or because your breath stank." His lips twitched as he tried to contain a smile, but it disappears as quickly as it came. "I pulled away because it was wrong."

I waited for him to elaborate.

He blew out a breath and leaned his head back against his chair. "Vanessa, I can't be kissing you. I kidnapped you, for gods sake. I locked myself in this room because ..." he hesitated.

"Because...?" I was slightly scared to know the answer.

His voice was barely above a whisper. "I'm scared to get attached to you."

To say I'm speechless was an understatement. He turned away from me to let me process what he just said as my mouth hangs open.

Close your mouth, idiot, inner me sneers.

What do I do? I ask her. Oh my god, I must really be desperate because I'm asking inner me for help.

What any rational, reasonable person would do, she says as if I was dumb. Use this to your advantage.

How?

The more he trusts you, the easier it will be for you to escape.

I hesitated. Most of me was willing to go through this evil plot, but a small part of me hurt for Keith.

You're right, I finally decided and walked up to Keith.

"Well, you only live once, right?" I said to him, placing my hands on his shoulder. I can see a guarded look in his eyes and realize this will take a while.

"What are you doing?" he whispers. I have to earn his trust.

My hands reach up to thread in his soft hair. "Kiss me."

And kiss me he does.