Chapter 17 - Melancholy

Start from the beginning

"Dad, no! My plane ..." Junior horrified, eyes wide at his pellet plane landing in the fire.

"I don't want to hear about that plane anymore! Find something else to do that's quieter." Imposed Bowser through his teeth, his irritated gaze glaring at the droopy-looking little turtle. His head was down, his hands in fists as he began to shake. However he didn't expect Junior's flaming return which took him by surprise when he raised his muzzle in his direction to challenge him.

"Why did you do that! It was a gift from Cinder! She had made it for me!" He cried out in anger while pulling out his little tooth to growl. He was unfair and mean! He had broken his new toy for no reason. With his head buried between his shoulders, little Koopa held his fierce gaze in his father's furious one, not letting himself be intimidated by the latter. Not even when he felt the familiar sting of tears. Upset, he continued in that same accusatory tone while pointing a small claw at him.

"Why are you so angry with everyone! All because of a princess who doesn't care about you! When will you realize that Peach doesn't love us and never will!" He shouted furiously, his dark eyes filling with tears at the pain that formed in his chest.

"Go to your room and don't let me see you again until dinner! You're grounded!" Bowser immediately ordered, clenching his fists at his cheeky son who turned to flee the throne room in a long series of sniffles. But just before closing the door in his wake the latter said one last, rather disconcerting thing.

"You are so blind!" Junior yelled with all his might, slamming the door loudly and rushing down the hall to his room.

He cried and cried all the way. Almost tripping on the carpet of the stairs in his frantic race, he stumbled and hurried back to the safety of his room, closing the doors quickly behind him. Groaning, the little turtle rubbed his wet eyes, this pain in his heart not wanting to leave him alone anymore. Why was his daddy so mean to him! What had he done wrong? Stomping his feet in his toys to release his frustration, little Koopa rushed to his bed to hide under his covers. For many minutes he was overcome with sadness and incomprehension. He couldn't calm down because of his grief. He was angry at his father, he was angry at the world for being so cruel to him...

Junior didn't hear the door to his room open quietly because he was wrapped up in his blankets and out of the light. He didn't even realize that his mattress was being lowered when the person who had entered his room sat down next to him on the red covers. Nevertheless, he stiffened the moment he felt something touch his shell, immediately stopping his heartbreaking cry. But despite this presence he didn't want to take his head out of its hiding place. He wanted to be alone... To be left alone in his corner to release all his sadness. With a groan, the Koopa curled up further under the blankets in the hope of disappearing and that the stranger would get tired. Yet the hand remained on his back, never leaving him as a melodious sound began to reach his ears.

Don't cry ...

I'm never far away

Cinder sang slowly to Bowser Jr. He didn't know the song, but it was very beautiful and soothed his tears that soon turned into little sniffles.

Life is sometimes unfair

But you should never despair

Now listening, Junior slowly pulled his head out from under the blanket to look at the human sitting on the edge of the bed. She was smiling, her tender green eyes searching his wet ones as the melody of her notes filled the room.

Don't cry

I want to see your smile again

Even when I'm far away