22| The broken promises

When I woke up again, Mom was already home.

Dad was in the hospital. She did not take up the matter again and I cautiously did not ask her anything. I trust them and if telling me is important, then they will. I hope it has nothing to do with selling this house.

Last year there was a matter concerning the house but Pops strictly mentioned not to take up the matter in front of him ever again.

I made tea for all three of us. Granny seems to be in her own world, out of this chaos.

"So how did all this happen, Mom?"

I whispered so that Granny cannot hear us.

"It was really sudden, Lily. We were in the kitchen and your dad and grandpa were in the garden chatting and having tea. It was all fine. The storm was just approaching so the weather was really good outside. Your Dad said, there was a sudden thunder with a huge flash and a huge sound. This made your Grandpa fall from his chair and then all this happened too quickly"

She let out a heavy sigh.

"But the good thing is, he is alright now"

She added.

I nodded trying to believe that nothing worse can happen now.

I hate it that I ruined their trip in some corner of my heart. Becky texted me today that they are returning today evening. They were originally supposed to come back tomorrow. I feel awful but I don't have a say. All I hope is that everything turns out well in the end.

The summer vacation is going to end this weekend. I have some project works to do but don't think I will be able to concentrate.

At least I will be able to meet Pops today.

***

"hey oldy"

I said with a cracking voice my vision blurring with the pool of tears.

He kept looking at me. For a second I thought he forgot me, his little girl.

Then his face gave away a toothy smile. His hand trying to reach me, although it did not extend more than an inch. His strength has all gone. I reach up to him and hold his hand.

There is no one in the room other than us. Granny had already had her turn and it was my time now.

I sit on the bed beside him.

"You won't leave me, right?"

I say my voice almost sounding like a cry.

"How can I leave now? You promised me that I can have anything I like from your wedding Buffet without any restrictions"

He said almost in a whisper.

I nodded, tears rolling down my cheeks.

"Then get better soon"

He said 'yes' by closing his eyes and quickly opening them again.

"I love you Pops"

I kissed his forehead. All the while he had his oxygen mask on.

I want to see him having ice cream, hiding from Granny. Not here in the hospital wearing a disgusting oxygen mask.

I ran outside of the room to find Granny silently sobbing, sitting on the chairs. I hugged her and she cried some more. Later I thought of giving her some space. So, I walked downstairs.

I guess Mom will drive us home tonight. Where is she by the way?

I will call her later. As for now, I am thirsty and I need to buy water.