9| His touch gets stamped on my lips

I could not sleep last night. I shivered and coughed. Grandma sat by my side for long enough when she finally went downstairs.

I took my medicines today after waking up. There is no way they are going to let me go to school today. So I don't even take that matter up. Pops spends most of his day in the garden. Granny on the other hand likes cooking so much that she goes on a cake-gifting spree in the town once in a while.

I sleep again in the afternoon. I feel a lot better now. I did not have a fever in the morning though. It's just a superior form of cold. Mom called me just now about how I was. I told her every detail. I told her about the bike ride too. For some reason, I know she will understand the situation. And maybe she did. She did not ask me anything further about Belanger and if we were friends or not. She strictly instructed me to keep an umbrella for 24 hours in my bag from now on.

We talked for about ten minutes more when she finally hung up. Dad texted me at midnight. He did not tell Mom anything at night because he knew they could not do anything from there so it's better to not give her any kind of anxiety at midnight.

Mom is mentally very weak and hyper at every tiny shit that happens whereas dad is a calm soul. They fit perfectly with each other. Yet somehow their distance started growing at some point along the road of time.

I insisted on leaving myself. I told them, rather shouted at them about how much suffocated I felt for their fights. It was even worse when they did not fight, they would act like the other person did not even exist. Both of them felt like the other has some affair. The only way to get out of this mess was communication and if I stayed in between, I would have to act like the telephone booth but I did not want that.

They think I came here because I am done with them but that is not the case. I love them the same way I loved them 10 years back. I had to leave so that they could get along well. When they finally do, I'll fly back there as soon as I can.

Suddenly an unknown number popped up on my screen. I picked it up.

"Hello?"

The other end says. Her voice is kind of known but I struggle to understand who actually she is.

"Yes? Who's this?"

"It's Becky! I got your number from Ava"

"Oh. Hey! How was school?"

I'm so glad she called. At least my absence troubles someone.

"It was kind of boring. Are you alright? I remembered you mentioning once that you don't normally skip school if it's not something serious."

"Well I have a cold and yesterday I could not at all sleep for a mild fever. So I could not really tell my grandparents that I want to go to school today because I know they won't allow it anyway."

"damn. Get well soon, girl!"

"thanks. Ava did not mention this?"

In order to avoid an awkward silence I had to come up with something and my brain could only process this.

"Really? No, she didn't actually."

"Might have been busy then"

"As a matter of fact, she wasn't busy at all. I asked her about you and she handed me your number to shoo me away"

She laughed and so did I. The best thing about her is she does not fucking care who she is talking about. She will say everything about that person she would fucking want to. She will say the same thing in front of that person as well. She is like a transparent gel. You know her for who she is, no extra layers to it.