15| A shoulder to cry on

Mia Colbert

I could not. I just could not do it.

I am tired of it. Tired of everything that has been happening. I ran through the corridor and walked up the stairs to reach the rooftop to get some fresh air. I opened my hair and let them fall on my back. I couldn't stand them being so close today.

I finally let my tears wash away my pain. Why couldn't I ever get over you, Cedric?

Why couldn't you see me as someone more than just a friend?

What do I lack? Nothing. Fucking nothing.

Yet I couldn't be who Leah is. I couldn't have who Leah has. I am tired of this. I have started hating her when I know it has nothing to do with her.

I still remember that day in pre-school when we were playing hide and seek. We were hidden in the same wardrobe, it was dark and scary but I knew Cedric is there.

Cedric was different back then. He was lively, always fooling around. I guess I liked that Cedric more but when you love someone you love them the whole. You can't just love the good of that person and discard the bad. I love him whole.

I kissed him on his cheek on my 10th birthday. He did not say anything he just rubbed his cheek with the handkerchief. The only girl he used to talk about those days was the nosy girl who taught him a trick. No one knew what the trick was or who the nosy girl was. All we knew was Cedric is going to find her someday.

A few weeks ago he came running to our go down at midnight, blood flowing down his fist.

I asked, "How did this happen, Cedric?"

I was so scared and worried but all he had to say was, "I knew it, Robinson. Leah is that girl who came to our house many years back"

I heard the door open behind me which brought me back to reality. I looked behind me. Robinson stands trying to catch his breath. I look away whipping off my tears.

"what are you doing here?"

I ask with a low voice.

"I can ask you the same question"

"no, you can't!"

I shouted when my tears found their way to flow down my cheeks.

"For god's sake Mia, get over him. We all know about your ever-long crush on him just leaving him. Or maybe he knows but just tries to not take up the matter cause it would be better not to"

He says in a low voice. He can never console anyone. Talking in a low voice is his way to show he cares.

I could not help but laugh briefly at the face he made. I walked ahead towards him.

"Right. I deserve better, don't I?"

"yes! A rich old dude would be perfect"

He says with a smirk.

I push him on the shoulder playfully and he hugs me. I can't help but cry on his shoulder with loud screams. He holds me tightly. Robinson is like a safe place that is always there for me no matter what.

Everyone wants to be happy but not everyone is destined to be. I hope I am not doing what Cedric did to me but deep inside even I know, I am no less of a sinner than Cedric is.