10

"I'm going to pretend that you didn't almost die this morning in training". Steve says as he walks into the gym one evening, seeing that I'm barely making any kind of impact on the punch bag even though he's shown me the right way to hit it.

I almost took a shield to the stomach thanks to Sanders, thankfully my quick senses told me to dive out of the way, which I did much to the amazement of Wilson, who seemed impressed as to how quick I was to note it spiralling towards me. We lost another candidate due to a shield incident a couple of days ago. I still can't get the image from my mind.

"I saw it coming". I state and turn to him. "I still have trouble trying to throw the damn thing though".

"Which is why we're going to work on that another evening, but first? We need to focus on combat, that's where you're failing after all".

"Thanks, but Sanders tells me I'm pretty much a failure every day". I shrug off the insult.

He stands on one of the mats and beckons me over. "C'mon, attack me".

"Physically or emotionally?".

"Insults aren't going to win a war". He replies.

"We're not at war". I remind him casually. Not that I know of anyway, then again it could be just another thing that SHIELD is hiding from everybody.

He looks to me with the same seriousness he gave when we spoke in his office the other day. "We might not be, but there are people out there against us that are".

"Like who?" I frown at this. He knows something but it's probably classified so he can't exactly tell me, even if he wanted to.

"Just attack me Kennedy before I lose my patience". He snaps and I lunge for him. He practically throws me around like a ragdoll and my back connects with the mat, with him pinning me there and looking down at me. "You go into a fight like that and you'll be outta energy before it's already begun". He advises. "You need to find a way to tire your partner out, distractions and whatnot. Keep them moving, keep them on edge - don't waste your stamina".

I am more than happy to waste it on him in a position like this...

I look up at him. "There's barely anything of me as it is, let alone stamina".

How the hell am I not dead yet?

"That's where you use that brain of yours. Think outside the box, just like you did with the flag. You're a quick thinker". He replies, and is about to say something else when I take the chance and flip him over so he's under me.

"I mean...that classes as a distraction right? Keep your enemy talking? Their mind elsewhere?" I ask sweetly as I look down at him

He smirks at this. "Very good, you're learning".

"I have a good teacher...plus it was that or a kick in the balls - I figured it wouldn't inflict pain on you unnecessarily".

"Either one works, but thank you for letting me keep my balls this time around".

"Next time you may not be as lucky..." I stare down at him and then get off, stretching my aching muscles. "Target training, we did some with knives and as you saw, I couldn't even throw them near enough to the target". I change the subject.

"Show me again what you did". He replies as we head to the area where the targets are set up. I take a knife from one of the holders, line up as best as I can and throw. It almost makes it, but doesn't. Steve nods slowly. "It's because your stance is all wrong". He notes and comes over. His hands slide down to rest upon my hips as he moves my body into the correct potion, adjusting my stance and then putting a knife into my dominant hand. "Pull your arm back like this..." His voice says gently, putting my arm into position. I can feel his breath on my neck as his face is next to mine trying to see how it lines up from my view. "Then as you bring it forward, you flick your wrist and let the knife go..." Now he slowly moves my arm and then my wrist to show me what he means. "Keep your feet and your body like you have them now...now pull your arm back and do what I just showed you".

With a swift move, I send the knife spiralling through the air, a loud smack sounding as it hits the target and deep. I turn and grin in triumph to him. "It actually worked!"

"Of course it did" He looks smug, "you have a good teacher - now try again".

I pull the knife from the target and walk back to where I was standing, trying to adjust my body as I did just then. "Focus on your stance". Steve reminds me, coming back over to help. His hands on my waist are standing tingles through my body, his is practically against mine as he shows me again. "A good stance makes for a good hit".

With one hand holding the knife, my other seems to have absent mindedly placed itself on top of his, keeping it there on my waist. As I look back, his face is close to mine, so close that our noses are almost touching.

"I should really throw the knife..." I say quietly, my lips slightly grazing his.

"Yeah, you really should..."

His lips brush against mine as I simply throw the knife, hearing it hit the target but not caring whereabouts. His arms wrap around my body as I turn in them, keeping me pressed against him. At this point we could just tell FRIDAY to lock the gym and he could take me here and now -  but we both seem to remember where we are and pull away.

"I...erm..." I now look back at the target and see where the knife is embedded right in the centre of the target. "Hit the target?" I look stunned.

Steve was right, he's a very good teacher. 

I now turn back to him, feeling a little awkward. "I'm guessing training is over for tonight..."

He says nothing for a moment before he finally speaks. "Get some rest Aless. I'll see you in the morning".

My heart sinks slightly, but without another word I quickly leave the gym and return to my room. Sleep not being able to take over as I replay everything over and over in my mind.