[28] ...I Declare a Lycan War

I looked over at Andrew as soon as he stopped the car and put it in park. He continued staring straight ahead, knowingly not getting out of the car, but still sighed. Milkner was already getting out of the car.

"This is my fifth funeral in a year," I told him. Dad's. Andrew's. Marc's. Preston's. Now Shana's. This one didn't hurt the most but it definitely hurt differently.

After taking a breath, Andrew looked over at me. "It probably won't be the last."

Even though I knew he was most likely right, I still rolled my eyes.

It was Thursday afternoon now. All week there had been a cease fire in terms of feuding because of Shana's wake and funeral, which was originally supposed to be senior prank day. I guess Lee heeded Ryder's threat because he had been radio silent, even after the death had been ruled an accident. I think it was in his best interests because Carol had mentioned to Ryder that there was a distinct "maul-looking" laceration on Shana that could've been a coincidence but Ryder told me Lee probably ripped out the bullet(s) from Shana to cover all the hunter's tracks. After all, there were no bullets found on scene and the only way Lee was vindicated from the accident was that he claimed he had left the scene to walk off, trying to find help. I wondered how a whole party of people had magically forgotten he turned up at Jack's, but given the nature of everything, Stormy had somehow managed to show up at the relocated party to hex every single attendant. Even if people had gone home after Jack's, she and her family had somehow erased the memory of Lee showing up covered in blood from every teenager not involved by Monday morning. To them, Jack Willis finally got a noise complaint and the party had to be moved. I was impressed with the mass crowd delusion but Greta Donahue was very clear with Ryder and Andrew that that was the only interference their coven would have in the upcoming Lycan altercation

Before the autopsy results Stella, without telling Trevor, had been the one to march right up to Meena Leonard at school on Monday (the only reason school wasn't canceled was because we had State examinations so we had tomorrow off instead) and begged her to not distract from the mourning of the week with any kind of retaliation. Meena had apparently put on a good front of an apathetic face, but eventually got back to her on Tuesday with a promise from her family to not make any offensive moves until after the funeral...The only stipulation was that Andrew was not to attend the funeral and be around Lee. It seemed petty but considering Andrew and Shana hardly ever talked, Andrew obliged. If anything, this "compromise" increased Andrew's anger because it seemed like Lee was targeting him more than anyone else. Not that Lee didn't have reasons not to.

Suddenly my door was being opened by Milkner. I thought it was a gesture to get me out of the car, but I found him leaning onto the frame instead. "Let's not go," he told me in a kind voice. I knew that wasn't an option for me. I nodded my head over for him to move back and he did so I could get up from the seat.

"No," I told him. "Shana's my friend, we were teammates in track, and part of this might as well be my fault so–"

"This is not your fault," he immediately interrupted and took a step forward to comfort me before controlling himself. I spun back around to give one last look to Andrew and he said he'd be back later with Aaron or Evan or our mom. Tension was on the rise and no one seemed to go anywhere without a buddy, not even Andrew. When he drove off, I looked back over to Milkner.

"Let's do this thing," I tried to say optimistically and walk off, but he grabbed my arm and I felt the sting of his silver rings and hissed. He was quick to apologize but he didn't regret it or drop the jewelry in his pocket like I had his necklace. He stood there awkwardly actually. "What–"

"Can I just give you a hug?" he asked for the first time ever in his life towards me. I remembered him being practically glued to my side after my dad and Andrew's death announcement. And now, his presence and touch burned me for more reasons than one. "Or is that too much? I don't want to hurt you since my understanding is that anyone but Ryder touching you doesn't feel great."