025

"Newt you said we could shuckin' trust her," Minho yelled,

"I thought we could, I didn't think..." Newt started as he looked around before noticing Gally shaking Jennifer awake roughly. "What the hell are you doing?" Newt said as he rushed over,

"Getting some answers out of her," Gally replied before he was pushed back by awake Jennifer.

"Get the fuck away from me," she pushed out still half asleep,

"What the hells going on? WICKED's found us. What the hell have you done?" Gally said as he pushed her against the wall, his eyes cold and harsh.

"What... what? WICKED's here? No, no that's not-" she spoke bewildered,

"What the hell have you done?" He repeated even harshly, pushing his hands over her throat.

"Gally-" Newt pushed out, his own hands forcing to his throat from the windpipes closing. "Stop I can't-"

"Your hurting Newt, Gally. Move," Jennifer said seaming to find her voice slightly better than him.

"Or what? Sure lover boy can deal with a bit of pain-" Before Gally could finish his sentence Jennifer jolted forwards pushing Gally to the ground abruptly.

"Hurt me all you like, kill me even. But you don't make Newt feel a fucking thing," She said as she watched him scramble back to his feet.

"I don't need to be protected," Newt spoke from the side,

"Shut up, Newt," She said not turning her gaze from Gally. Then instead of the sound of Gally talking back a loud mechanical voice echoed through speakers that felt as though they were all around.

"Do not move," the group ordered "Jennifer, we appreciate your attempt to save Group A but a tracker was set in your palm when we shook hands. We had your location the whole time,"

Jennifer felt like silence had engulfed her, eaten her whole. She took a step back before she realised how shaky her legs were and how cold her skin felt.

All the voices shouting at her were fading into her head as the ringing in her ears grew. She couldn't go back, she could do it. But she also couldn't give up, she needed to get this group to the haven.

For Newt.

She rose back into consciousness and gasped largely. "I have an idea," she said to the group "When I say run, you run. Got it?"

"What is the chick on about?" Minho asked,

"I don't know, but I recommend we do what she says," Frypan added giving a reassuring nod to Jennifer who returned the same.

"Gally, I really hated you for most of this time. Maybe it was because I saw myself in you. But your strong, you can keep this group safe and you have to," she then turned to Minho "Minho... don't let Newt do anything stupid after this. You keep him alive and you lead the group here," she said handing him a raggedy old map in which he agreed.

"Thomas," she sighed turning her head at him "To be fair I don't have anything inspirational to tell you except I admire your loyalty to this group as it's something I could never achieve. Frypan, I enjoyed talking to you during the journey. And you always made sure the meals were cooked all the way through. Appreciate it,"

Then the final person came, the one she dreaded most. But before she spoke to him she turned to the group. "Leave," she ordered, the froze looking over at each other "We don't have much time: Leave," they walked away hesitantly.

"Blondie," she breathed "So much to say yet so little time. I don't think I'll see you again after this, so it doesn't matter what I say or do. You must promise me, you will not give up on the journey there and you mustn't forget me,"

Before Newt could reply she leant forwards leaving a kiss on his lips and pulling away placing a hand onto his shoulder "I like you too," she whispered before turning the rest of the group who stood mouths agape and wide eyes.

"Holy shit," Frypan breathed,

"Newt had his first kiss," Minho laughed,

"Yeah yeah, how about you talk about it when WICKED isn't literally hovering above us. Remember what I said, when I say go, you go,"

"Where will you meet us?"

"I won't, it's time to leave you guys alone now," she said before ripping the locket from her neck and walking towards Newt. "That S was for a boy called Stephan," she paused "And there was a picture of you I made sure it keep to never forget you back when you went into the Maze," she handed it to him "Come on let's move!"

And she ran out of the building quickly. They were surrounded left to right by WICKED guards all with ready guns. "None of you move!" She yelled over the hovercraft propellants before she launched forwards.

She pushed a guard down and straddled him before burying his knife into his chest once or twice quickly and stealing the gun from him. By this point, she had been shot twice and before anything else shot her putting Newt through any more pain, Ava spoke.

"Hold fire! She's removed pain from her program. They won't do anything," she spoke.

"Aren't you a smarty pants?" She smirked before firing the gun all around at as many guards as possible dodging their inobediente bullets "Go!" She yelled, the group obliged hoping she would turn up out the other side.

She merely missed the bullets and guards occasionally hit hers plummeting to the ground around her. Her heart was beating, adrenaline racing through her cables just merely holding her body together.

WICKED was so focused on Jennifer and her violent outbreak they didn't notice Grouo A slipping behind the hovercraft and running through the desert.

Newt turned round every couple of steps until it was his sixth time. He saw Jennifer, smoke all around her from the bullets, her hair flowing into the distance, her heavy breathing, her beauty.

He couldn't wait to talk to her after this, to ask her so many questions. He assumed she would find them on the way, but before he could even think about the things he would say.

He watched her body slide into the ground at a plummeting speed. Newt stopped his step looking at Jennifer on the floor just a couple of hundred miles from him yet he could see everything.

Her body jolted up and down, he could feel it too. The pain in his heart, an aching pulling pain. He hoped she would jump back up with her signature smirk. He waited and waited until Jennifer froze.

Suddenly, Newt felt nothing. He was completely numb. It was certain it was proven to him when the group started to drag him away.

Jennifer was dead.

The kiss still lingered on his lips, his name still lingered on her tongue, and she still lingered in the air. "Jenny," he whispered, his voice shaky.

The ache in his heart which he thought was from Jennifer continued. Because he just watched the girl he would've died for, die.

He would've gone to hell and back to change her story. He wanted to die with her, not watch her do it for him. He felt a tear trickle down the side of his face.

"Jenny," he pushed out again, another tear falling from his eye.