013

She forced the knife against his throat pushing him even closer against the bark of the tree. His thigh was agonising pain through his whole body but Jennifer refused to let it affect her.

"So what, you got a little crush on me and now we're fucking linked?" She said harshly shaking him against the tree "Huh?"

"Jen-" he tried before she pushed the knife even harder.

"Jennifer you need to calm down," someone in the group said but she was so preoccupied with fury she didn't know who it was.

"It's not his fault Jennifer,"

"Slim it,"

"Get away from him,"

"If I kill you I'll never have to deal with this link shit again will I?" She teased as she leaned closer to him. "I will kill you," she whispered drawing her knife impossibly closer and closer now edging against his skin.

"Jen- I-" he tried to push out, he didn't want to die yet. Not now. Then an idea came to him. He purposing pushed his throat towards the blade cutting into his throat enough to hurt but not fatal.

"Jennifer whatever you do to him will just come back to you. You kill him and it's suicide," Jorge said from behind her.

Poor Jennifer jolted away holding her neck tightly. "You bastard! You did this, you piece of shit," cruel words were falling out of her mouth unknowingly.

"Jennifer this isn't his fault, it's WICKED's," Jorge tried to calm Jennifer down, she was shaking from anger. Until her eyes met Newts. His eyes were innocent and bewildered as they looked back into hers.

Both breathing heavily with wounds on their thighs and throats. Jorge was right, chances were they tried the two things out on immune and a none immune to see if it would work. It wasn't his fault, she told herself over and over.

They stayed there for a minute looking at each other, trying to guess each other's next move. That was until Jennifer took in a sharp breath and went off into the woods.

The group watched her disappear into the canopy before crowding around Newt, saying and asking so many things that he didn't register. His mind was preoccupied.

Jennifer. He said over and over. Where had she gone, what will she do, is she okay? His mind just kept on going trying desperately to try to tune out everyone's questions.

After an hour they had died down, all discussing what the hell was going on... or well trying to.

"What did I say? I knew something was going on with the two," Gally accused shooting Newt a glare "I mean I didn't think you'd be in love with her-"

"I'm not in love with anyone," He defended himself,

"Really because sure sounds like you were,"

"No chances are, Jennifer did something a big reckless. Newt felt a bit protective realised he doesn't want her to get hurt. That's all," Brenda explained, talking for the first time in a group discussion.

"Where is she?" Newt asked

"Who cares? She tried to kill you Newt," Gally spoke fast "She can't stay with us after that,"

"But we can't get rid of her," Jorge added "The two have a link now, no tearing them apart now,"

"I'm going to find her," Newt announced as he stood up,

"What are you on a death wish?" Minho asked "She'll just finish you off if she isn't waiting for the night,"

"She won't do that," Jorge added before Newt could speak "She won't kill him, she might've in the moment but she's had time to calm down,"

"How'd you know?" Gally asked as if accusing Jorge.

"I've known her a long time, she wouldn't kill him. Maybe hurt him but nothing fatal,"

"I'm going to talk to her then," Newt said again and went to walk off,

"Hold on, you don't even know where she is," Thomas said causing Newt to halt.

"I have a very good guess," he said before he disappeared into the woods.

***

He struggled down the cliff, his leg wobbling slightly at uneven rocks. After finally reaching steady ground he looked around spotting her in the corner.

She was sat on a small ledge not too high up, she had one leg pulled up next to her and the other hanging off the edge. Book in hand and Merlin hopping around in the water splashing water up the walls.

He walked over slowly careful not to disrupt her, and stood below her. "Uh..." he trailed as he looked up at her watching her eyes skim the page.

She couldn't think of one reasonable explanation for why he was here. She just tried to kill him a mere two hours ago and now he was here... doing what? Had he come to kill her, come to show her he was alive, here to say the group doesn't want to see her again?

"Jenny?" He asked then cleared his throat, she ignored him. Whatever he had to say or tell her she didn't want to hear it. "Can you hear me?" He was answered with silence. "I just wanted to check you hadn't done anything stupid," he sighed, there was another very long silence.

"...why?" She asked quietly,

"Uh... I don't know," he shrugged "Why are you up there, I thought you were afraid of heights?"

"I'm not afraid of heights, I'm afraid of falling,"

"That would make sense,"

"You should go,"

"... probably. But I'm not going to,"

"Why?"

"Because maybe I want to talk to you. Will you come down?" She was quiet for a second, thinking before she very slowly stepped down. Trailing her fingers against the wall before sitting down, Newt by her side quickly.

"So what now?"

"What were you doing out here?"

"Trying to read,"

"Trying to read what?" He asked, she handed him the book that was nestled into her hands. "The Hunger Games, what's that?"

"A book," she said removing it from Newt's grasp.