019

The walk was excruciating. Every single step was making their legs hurt even more. She, Brenda and Newt were walking in the front of the group. Jorge and Thomas are just a bit behind and Minho Frypan and Gally are at the back. 

"How long did we hallucinate for?" Brenda asked about the berries.

"Depends how many you ate, the berries are tricky. Sometimes they weaken the brain, and make it hallucinate for a while, other times you can just hallucinate for five seconds. Varies,"

"So we wouldn't still be hallucinating?"  Brenda turned to Jennifer.

"... I don't think so," Jennifer replied, they looked at each other for a second but Jennifer turned to Newt.

"Blondie, I need you to go," 

"Huh?"

"Leave. I need to talk to Brenda about... girl things?"

"Yeah okay, I'm gone," He said quickly fading behind.

"Girl things?" Brenda repeated.

"Of course not. Important things," Jennifer corrected lowering her voice. Newt was walking with Minho and their little group.

"Well, hope you're happy. You nearly got yourself killed this morning," Newt said as he looked over at Gally.

"It was your freaky girlfriend," Gally scoffed

"If anything to you Newt. I think shes pretty cool," Fry added

"Yeah means a lot," He said sarcastically.

"Why don't you throw her a god damn parade, what about you Minho got a crush on her too?"

"I don't mind her. Shes hard, knows what to do," Minho shrugged

"Well sounds like my girlfriends a lot cooler that your Gally," Newt smiled. No, Jennifer wasn't his girlfriend. But it was worth the look on Gally's face.

"Wow," He scoffed before walking off. 

"Good job Newt," Minho smiled,

"So is she your girlfriend?" Frypan asked,

"Nope, she is not,"

"Not yet anyways," Minho added giving Newt a shove.

"Ouch!" Jennifer yelled from in front. "Here," She said to Brenda, stopping at the twenty per cent mark. "We camp here for the night," She announced as she sat down. 

"How are we only twenty per cent of the way," Frypan ground as he finished the circle they had formed around a pathetic excuse for a fire. 

"Newt, what are you doing over there?" Jennifer asked looking at him from across the circle. It had become a thing where they sat next to each other during the nighttime circle.

"Uh... I don't know," He said as he stood up moving beside her. The fire crackled with light. Brenda, Gally and Frypan were already asleep leaving Jorge, Newt, Thomas, Minho and Jennifer awake. They were having a small none important conversation when Jennifer turned to Newt. 

"I need you to have this," She insisted pushing a piece of paper towards him.

"What is it?" He asked opening it slowly.

"Stop, you open it when its time,"

"When is it time?"

"You'll know, I just, I need you to have it," She insisted, guilt marking her voice. This was twice Jennifer insisted on Newt having or remembering something. She also seemed more on nerves lately, something was up...

He didn't know what or how to feel about it but he knew something bad was going to happen. 

"What was it like before the scorch?" Thomas asked leaning towards Jennifer, he wanted to see if explaining things would jump-start anything in his memory.

"Uh... kind of hard to explain. Give me something to explain," She replied.

"Day to day life?"

"My day to day life?"

"Yeah,"

"Uh- I was like seven when it broke out? My mom would just wake me up in the morning I'd get dressed go to school as such and that was that,"

"How about malls? Like the one we met you in,"

"Always full of people, overpriced ice cream. Some weird kids in all black living by the fountain honestly, you could never get the bastardas away from the thing. Bloody creepy,"

"What about-"

"What about you let Jennifer sleep? I'm tired as hell,"

"Just a few more questions,"

"No-"

"We won't tell anyone if you sleep on Newt's shoulder again," He offered, Jennifer turned to Newt with raised eyebrows.

"Blondie?" She asked, he only shrugged in reply.

"How did people first react to the disease?"

"Didn't, by the time we realised what was happening it was already too late,"

"How did you survive?"

"I lived near a beach, spent most my days in the water all that sun cream over time seamed to add some protection and  I suppose it was just right place right time wrong person,"

"Where did you live?"

"Mexico,"

"Where was that?"

"You ask a lot of stupid questions, can I please sleep?"

"Wait so-" Thomas started,

"Thank you,"