012

Two Days Later

Waist-high grass and trees that the group could hardly believe hadn't exceeded the dome limit. This forest was different, everything after the 10% mark was just bigger and larger. But the forest was the only thing that grew, the weird things occurring to Newt and Jennifer were only growing more and more noticeable.

Whoever stubbed their toe would flinch in sync with the other. Whenever a scrape from a bramble or the occasional dagger slips against skin. It was growing so bizarre that even the others had noticed and this was Jennifer's last straw.

Newt's arm grazed a bramble, sharp enough to cause blood to drip and although Jennifer's arm was pale and marked it began to sting. "Could you quit it with that stuff?" She asked harshly. Newt had gotten used to her occasionally being hostile towards him and now just accepted when she did as letting it get to him was just too repetitive now.

"What stuff?" He asked back, turning his head to the side so she could see him talking. She was walking just steps behind him.

"With the whole, whenever I hurt something you just happen to hurt it too. It's getting on my nerves," she scoffed,

"I thought you were doing it?"

"Finally, someone's addressed it," Gally sighed from behind, the two turned to Gally in sync.

"Gally shut up," they said together before continuing to walk. The whole group silenced their conversations just to listen in, all very intrigued.

"Just quit it all right?" She asked finally,

"I'm not doing it," he said calmly.

"Yes you are," she said in a matter-of-fact tone "Now let's rest, my heads beginning to get cloudy," she said as they sat down for the day, making camp there for the night.

Her mind had been doing that for a while, going cloudy and misty from the lack of blood. The group appreciated this as it meant they could rest for just that bit longer. Minho and Thomas were getting used to the distances now but the others weren't.

"I'm honestly not," he said again as he sat beside her.

"Newt I swear to God, it's not me we can establish that. So it's you, I suggest you own up and quit it,"

"Jennifer I'm being serious I'm not doing anything,"

"Blondie, you do not have any super protection for me, you are in as much danger as everyone else when they get on my nerves. Just say you'll stop,"

"I can't stop something I'm not doing-"

"Newt," she said harshly turning to him about to speak before Jorge interrupted her.

"Actually, he might not be doing anything," Jorge spoke slowly. The two turned to him with wide eyes.

"Explain why I can feel everything that happened to him," She ordered

"Likewise," Newt added.

"WICKED had these trials, when the brain releases the oxytocin chemical, cells will link with whoever it's towards. Maybe your nerve cells have linked, that's why you can feel every pain. As you were saying Thomas about and Teresa, would've released the chemical and their brain cells connected," his words echoed through Jennifer's mind.

Overpowering every single thought, feeling or idea. Overpowering every single fibre that built her skin. Overpowering it all, with rage. Undeniable, undermining hatred. One thing she had hated since the Scorch, was commitment. And now she was stuck with him, connected to him, for god knows how long.

Fury boiled in her blood, her eyes were growing hostile and animal-like. She had never been scarier. She turned to Newt very very slowly her eyes not daring to meet his.

He didn't know how he felt. He barely understood what Jorge was saying let alone feel something about it. That was until he saw Jennifer grasp around her dagger so tight her whole hand was white. The look in her eyes was deadly.

"Mother-" It was at this exact moment, Newt realised that he had about five seconds to get the fuck away or else she was as good as dead. "-fucker," she finished as she leapt up and chased him through the woods.

His heart was beating fast, but not as fast as his legs. The others were trying to stop the two but to no success. She was fast on her feet, dodging everything that the ground threw at her as hatred took over her.

But Newt had a trick up his sleeve. After earlier finding out she was scared of heights she found a very tall tree. And climbed. He got just high enough to miss her dagger being buried into the bark of the tree.

She looked up at him breathing heavily as he climbed, but then an idea occurred to her. She stuck her knife into her thigh, Newt plummeted to the ground holding his leg in pain. Jennifer was expecting it, and although it hurt she was so full of adrenaline.

She pulled it out of her leg and grabbed Newt by the collar from the floor and shoved him against the tree roughly. This was it, Newt thought. He only hoped that she would make his death as quick and painless as possible. This would be the end.