35

CHAPTER THIRTY-FIVE

no pogues left behind

After a while fighting with JJ, I win the argument. I'm going to get Kiara. He's going to stay back, watch the Twinkie and wait for our true getaway car. He doesn't like to be left out of the fun part, as he puts it. But hey, the two of us running around this place at night would get much more attention than just one of us.

So, cut to right now.

My hair is up in a ponytail and my face is covered by a black bandana up to my nose, as I patiently wait behind one cabin to run to the other side of the camp. One of the guards passes by driving one of those golf cars.

I let out an exhale before breaking out in a run towards the other side. When I get to the main part of the campsite, I have to hide behind cars to make my way to Kiara's cabin. There's guards with flashlights everywhere, patrolling.

My back is pressed against one of the white cars there. I lean forward enough to get a look at the way in front of me. Direct road to where the sweet lady at the front desk went to talk to Kie.

I feel the ring in my ears, the rise in the beat of my heart, adrenaline kicking in at the thought of getting caught. I'm terrified but excited in the same way. It's such a weird mix of feelings.

I tap my finger anxiously, waiting for the guards to get lost. Tap, tap, tap, tap. Just a few steps more. Tap, tap, tap, tap, tap. They're gone.

I rush to the cabin. I run up the steps, almost tripping and falling on my face. I gather myself quickly, only to find the door is locked. I grunt under my breath, and look around me before elbowing the lock hard.

I frown, watching the lock fall to the floor. That was way too easy.

I push the door open and walk inside, leaving it ajar after me.

"Kie?" I call in a whisper, walking further inside, noticing there's no sign of anyone staying here. The room is empty. "Fuck."

Then my eyes catch something written in the metal frame of the bed with black sharpie. P4L. I brush my finger over it, letting a laugh leave my lips. Cabin 6, it reads underneath. They took her to another cabin.

I adjust the backpack on my shoulders and leave this cabin. I'm pretty sure I walked by Cabin 6 on my way here, I just have to go back.

I run to the other side, following the path created by wooden tracks and just as I thought, I find Cabin 6 fast enough.

This door is locked too. But the sign reads Group Cabin. I can't kick this open, someone would alert the guards. So instead, I take out two bobby pins that miraculously I had in my backpack, from back when I used to always carry them to school in case I ever needed them.