8

CHAPTER EIGHT
how to run from the mess you made

CHAPTER EIGHThow to run from the mess you made

One thing you can bet on us doing is running.

Four years ago, JJ insisted on watching Zombieland. Movie night at the Chateau with the Pogues. One of my favorite plans. Cut to the movie ending, we had an intense debate about which one of us would die in a zombie apocalypse.

John B said I'd be a goner before I could understand what was happening. I was really offended and asked him why. He kindly reminded me that the first rule in Zombieland was Cardio, and that I only ran to the bathroom when I had an urgency.

Well, flashforward to now. I don't think I've ever run this much in my life. So, I think it's safe to say I'd survive a zombie apocalypse.

Cleo knows Barbados better than we do, obviously. She's our front woman, running and taking turns as if she knew the place like the back of her hand.

She takes another turn, and we follow her through the gate that leads to the horse tracks. I'm right behind her, and I almost crash into her when she stops abruptly. Cleo turns around, and frowns seeing me.

"What?"

She points behind me. I turn around, seeing our friends running past us into a further stable.

"Bloody rasshole." Cleo mutters. "Hey, boy, come!" She yells.

The Pogues realize their mistake, and turn around, running to us. Cleo shakes her head with disappointment and keeps on running with me hot on her heels.

She runs to the back of a stable, full of equestrian equipment and hay. I plop down on one of the blocks of hay. It tickles as it touches my skin, but I'm so tired that if I don't sit down my legs will give up on me.

"They coming?"

"I don't see anything." JB confirms, checking out of the window.

"Great. Let's just take a second to breathe then." I say, gasping for air and panting.

"So what's the plan now?" JJ asks firmly. "What's our plan B?"

"We don't have one." I shrug. "We need to come up with something."

"And quickly! We just kicked the hornet's nest." He starts pacing around.

"JJ, calm down."

"Calm down, Pope?" JJ stops abruptly in front of his friend. "We do something to their guys, they're gonna do something to Kie."

"That was your idea!" Blondie snaps.

"Yeah, I know that was my idea, okay?"

"Doesn't matter whose idea it was!" I stand between them. I take a deep breath, "Kie is a Pogue. She's a survivor. We have to trust that she'll find a way out of there. Or to send us a message."