21

CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE
mama heyward invites us to diner

"Pope!" JJ yells when we get to his place.

He's sitting outside with Cleo. They both turn their heads to us, seeing us arrive running. We stop dead on our tracks, heavily panting from running all the way here.

"Bombshell," JJ says, trying to catch his breath.

But I put my hand up, stopping him from saying more. I look between Cleo who looks pissed, and Pope who looks like he was about to throw himself in the marsh.

I point at them, moving my index finger between the two, "What's going on here?"

"Oh, yeah. I'm detecting a real heavy vibe."

"Someone died? You two kissed?" I squint my eyes, trying to guess the situation.

"What? No," Cleo scowls, "Pope's quitting school." She sighs.

"You can't quit school!" I say, at the same time JJ speaks.

"Being a coroner's kind of weird anyway."

I hit JJ on the back of his head at the same time Pope says, "Shut up, wrench dick."

"Okay, we'll talk about this later." I say, looking directly at Pope. "This is not the time for this."

"Yeah, we..." JJ pants again, trying to catch his breath. "We were down at Guffy's, all right. I was trying to get my job back. And I see the catty from across the way, and on it is Rafe and Barry."

"So he sneaks over, to hear what they were talking about..." I continue.

"Pope, he has the cross."

"And he melted it down." I say as softly as I can, knowing those words would kill Pope in a second. Pope's face drops. He stands up defeated, and leans his weight on the railing. "I'm so sorry, P."

"Fuck!" Pope yells at the top of his lungs making me flinch. His voice was so raw I almost didn't recognize it.

JJ pulls me with him to sit where Pope was before, and I do. I sit down, letting out a relieved sigh when my weight is taken off my feet.

"Of course, it was Rafe."

"Who else could've been... We should've guessed that." I mutter under my breath.

"The Cross of Santo Domingo, desecrated!"

"P, I know you're mad but-"

"And for money?! God!"

"I know but," JJ speaks, "I think we need to stay calm to make a plan, but we got to stay-"

Pope slams down a broom against the floor, smashing it into pieces that blow up around us. JJ and I flinch, covering ourselves, leaving back, trying not to get hit by Pope's rage.