4

CHAPTER FOUR
bells bring me back home

CHAPTER FOURbells bring me back home

2011

Big John Routledge had taught his kids to love the ocean as much as he did.

Ever since his wife left him five years ago, the twins were the only thing he had left. Well, them and his research.

Every night before putting them to bed, John told his kids bedtime stories about pirates plowing through the seven seas. Treasure maps, and secret mines of gold. John B always preferred the pirate stories, while Brizo loved hearing about the sea mythical creatures that the sailors swore to see.

The man looked out of the window of his office. The sun was starting to set, and the twins had school the next day. He smiled, and stood up. John left his office, and locked the door after him.

With his hands on his pockets, he walked outside, sighing with a smile when the golden rays of sun grazed his skin.

The golden bell he had installed years prior shone bright underneath the light. He had to squint his eyes, walking closer to it. His hand grabbed the rope, and he swung it.

The bell chimed, and he filled his lungs with air to yell, "Bring it on in, kids!"

In the marsh, John B stood with his snapback on the edge of their family boat, fishing rod in hand. Meanwhile, his twin sister Brizo, was sitting with a bucket hat and a sketchbook on her knees, drawing with colored pencils mermaids and sailors.

She heard the bells tolling first, looking up blinking from her drawings. Then, her brother turned his face towards the sound, waiting for the bells to toll again.

"Bring it on home, kids!" They heard their father's voice.

"Come on, John B." Brizo smiled, closing her sketchbook and gathering her pencils.

"Coming, dad!" John B yelled, reeling in.

Big John just had to wait five minutes until he saw his kids running towards home. With a smile on his face, he walked back inside, leaving the door to the porch open. The kids stormed through it.

John B dropped his fishing rod outside, and didn't even take off his muddy shoes before jumping on the sofa to watch TV with his father. Brizo, on the other hand, had ran to her room, left her things on her desk and had taken off her shoes and put on her favorite yellow flip-flops.

When she joined her twin on the couch, Big John had brought out hamburgers from dinner with a bag of their favorite chips. They had dinner together watching TV, until they fell asleep listening to their father's stories one more night.

John picked up his kids, and took them to their beds. He made sure they were okay before closing the doors to their rooms and going back to his office. He left his door open ajar, with the light peaking through it, in case the kids needed him.

He sat down again, with a book about the Royal Merchant in front of him, and stolen papers from the museum. He had work to do.

He needed to find the gold. And once he did it, he would give his kids a better life. He had to.