Chapter 7

Jay's POV

It's been exactly two weeks since everything went to shit, and unsurprisingly, it's still quite shit.

Every day I seem to get more anxious. The fact I can't see them to make sure they're breathing is killing me.

I've always been protective of them. I'm their big brother, after all, it's my job to make sure they're okay. I've been doing it ever since I was eleven.

The triplets were two at that time. I had hoped since they weren't the heirs, they wouldn't be forced to train with Dad like I was.

The day I saw Issac slap a two-year-old Alex hard across the face was the day I realised they had the same faith as me.

Since that day, I protected them with my life. I would do anything for them, and everyone knows that.

Being forced away, out of the loop, it's driving me insane.

I'm losing sleep worrying about Clayton. And Charlotte and Owen of course, but for the most part, they're safe. Claytons is the farthest from safe he's ever been.

We used to be there for him. To encourage him, to stitch up his wounds. The triplets would always do the most to keep him happy during the rest of the day after his training and online classes. And Alex would make sure he didn't sleep in.

I was there for when he just needed a shoulder to cry on.

He loves the triplets, but they're his best friends. And yes, he loves me obviously, but I'm an adult. I've taken on a role similar to a parent in his little eyes.

They come to me when they need to cry. When they are struggling with something, or simply need to scream at the world. 

They all put on a brave face in front of each other. And they come to me when their brave face starts to slip. It's how it's always been. And now that that's changed, I don't know if we're going to be okay anymore.

I sigh, staring at my uneaten breakfast. Standing up from the kitchen chair, I grab the plate and put it in the fridge for later. I then walk to my bedroom.

I start unbuttoning my white shirt as I walk into the bathroom. After that, I strip completely and stand in the shower.

I set the water to scalding hot, and stand under it as I try to calm my mind.

***

I'm pulling my belt through the loops of my suit pants when I hear the front door open.

I go still for a second, before grabbing the gun I left on my bathroom counter. I silently leave my bathroom, and when I step out of my bedroom I see a woman standing in front of my closed front door, looking around.

Her eyes land on me as I take a few steps further into the kitchen, my gun aimed at her head.

Her eyes go wide, looking more surprised than scared.

I watch the woman as her eyes drop down to my bare chest, where they stay for a second too long. I hold back a scoff. "Who the fuck are you?" I snap, glaring at her.

I'm fucking sick of people walking into my house as if they have the right to.

"Talia.." She mumbles. "What the hell are you doing here?" I ask next. "I'm um...I'm just the maid. Please sir, there's no need for the gun" She says, her eyes still glued to my chest.

I narrow my eyes at her.

Idiotic girl.

"I don't have a maid," I tell her, and her eyes go slightly wide before she jerks her eyes away and stares at the kitchen table to my right, finally seeming to realise she was staring.

"Today is my first day. I've been told to come here daily, every morning. Mr Hendrix said that's when you'll be in work- so I won't be here to bother you" Talia tells me.

How convenient. She'll be here when I'm not.

I take a step over to the kitchen table and drag out a chair. I then gesture to it with the gun.

She rushes over and sits down, and I hum, thankful she didn't ask questions. I watch her closely as I walk towards the kitchen island, and grab my phone from the top of it.

Her eyes are glued to her lap, while she fidgets with a gold ring she has around her finger.

It takes Issac fucking ten minutes to answer his goddamn phone, which only worsens my mood.

"Did you hire me a maid?" I ask, watching as she tries to subtly glance at me. The fact I'm holding a gun seems to finally register in her mind.

We had maids back home. Loads of them. As well as guards stationed all over the house. Everyone hated it, including Mam. No one likes having dozens of strangers in your house.

Over the years mam has talked Issac down to nine guards and eleven maids. Mam's still not happy though, and I suspect over time they'll all be fired. Or at least moved somewhere else.

"Did you expect there not to be one?" Issac asks in return. I roll my eyes. Of course. Imagine I was expected to clean up after myself like an actual adult. How disgraceful.

"Stop giving people invitations to enter my house" I mutter, before hanging up. I place my phone on the island counter, as well as my gun.

"Come here" I sigh, and she stands, walking over and stopping in front of me.

She glances up at me, and then her eyes move to the gun I put down. Talia lets out a quiet breath of relief and seems more relaxed.

I take a step closer to her, till we're standing right in front of each other. Her eyes widen slightly while she stares up at me. "If I ever find you taking something, snooping around, spying- doing anything other than cleaning this fucking house, I personally will make sure the rest of your life is a living hell" I whisper, and her eyes only seem to widen more. "Understood?" I whisper.

She nods immediately. "Sir I'd never-" "Your words don't mean shit to me," I say, taking a step back.

She nods her head, and I catch her eyes lingering around my chest again. This time I do roll my eyes.

She moves her gaze to the ground while I stare at her.

Despite the fact she's already beginning to annoy me, she's abnormally pretty.

With dark brown skin, deep brown eyes and glossy full lips, she has a face that draws you in.

Her long black braids are done up into a bun at the top of her head, showing off her small gold hoop earrings. She seems to have a thing for gold since it's also the colour of the necklace and the ring she's wearing. I also notice she has some gold eyeshadow on right now.

Dressed casually in black jeans and a white knitted cardigan, as much as I hate to admit it, Talia is beyond beautiful.

Something in my head tells me it's going to be a problem.

Without another word, I walk back to my room and close the door behind me. Unfortunately, because my window is open, the air makes the door slam closed. Loud enough to even make me wince a bit.

I finish getting changed before I leave to go finish our conversation.

I find her standing in the kitchen, looking around confused. I sigh. "What?" I mutter, not in the mood to talk to anyone. Especially answer questions.

"Sorry, sir I just...I wasn't aware another maid was working here" Talia says, and I roll my eyes. "There's not".

She looks even more confused. "But..your house is clean?" She's turned to me by now, her body faces me while her eyes meet mine.

"Yes, because I'm an adult, not a child," I say, narrowing my eyes at her. Did she expect me to have a pile of mouldy dishes in my sink?

"Right sir" She whispers, clasping her hands together in front of her and dropping her gaze to the floor again.

"I want your hours changed. To when I'm here" I tell her. I don't care whether you're a maid, a bodyguard or even a damn firefighter, no one steps foot in my house when I'm not here. "Will that be an issue?" I ask.

"No sir" Talia answers, as expected. I hum in response, before retreating to my office so she can work in peace.