Chapter 17: Runaway

DESPITE MY stubbornness to even look out of the window, I do have to exit the carriage eventually. And when we do arrive at Aleksander's place of residence my previous stubbornness feels childish knowing I will have to view Gorod Bogov anyways and now I'm at a disadvantage of not knowing anything about the surrounding area.

Aleksander takes my hand as I exit the carriage cabin into a lusciously green courtyard, strikingly different from the sand of the area of the Unsea we came from.

The residents and most of the travelers that arrived with us somewhere behind the large gates that loom behind me. Within the courtyard a select few of Aleksander's guards dismount their horses around us, leading their steads away towards a stable in the distance. Leaving us with only two guards who stand away from us, at attention, at the doors.

The grand U-shaped double doors that open into a castle are reminiscent of the Little Palace. Unlike the Little Palace, this castle is clearly meant to be the grandest building in the area. It does not bother with straight lines and rectangular shapes so as to fit into the scenery. Rather, this building demands to be seen with its arches and elaborate columns that don't scream over-zealous wealth but rather well stated elegance. Porches, that should be a safety hazard in other castles, and numerous large windows, taunt any who doubt the power of those who live here.

"There are no walls or towers?"

"We can add some if you feel unsafe."

"No, it's not that, well it looks.. Welcoming?"

"I want it to be welcoming. Primarily for you really. But, also for Grisha, our community."

The grand palace always felt off putting with its size; clear walls and divisions between us and them could be found in every feature of the Palace. I remember the anger I felt the first time I ever saw it, how the Lantzovs dared to live on much more than they ever needed while so many they governed lived with much less than survivable.

"Do you like it?" Aleksander interrupts the silence.

"How was it built so fast?"

"You will be surprised by how much Grisha can accomplish when we work together."

"Hmm."

"I have hoped that someday you would want to call this place home. I worked tirelessly to make it something you might like. Please just tell me how you feel about it."

"My fiancee, my things, my home, is in Keramzin. I'm to be its duchess if you were unaware. My friends, Genya, Zoya, Sasha, they are in Os Alta. This place just doesn't fit in."

Rather than dissuading Aleksander, my words only make him more interested. "Sasha?" he inquires.

"A child that came to the orphanage. I tried to teach her, but this was before it all came back. It's besides the point Aleksander. I don't belong here. I want to go home."

Aleksander takes a deep breath, "Okay," he says with as much casualness as he can muster. "If you want to go somewhere else, you are free to go."

"Ha! I'm no longer that naive Darkling to think you won't track me down and drag me back here by my collar."

"I am not the villain you think of me. Not anymore anyways," he says painfully. "I'm- trying," his admittance comes out more strained than the rest. "If you want to go then go, I have to insist guards escort you, but all you have to do is get back in the carriage and I will ensure you safely arrive wherever you wish to go."

"I don't understand, why did you do this, take me here, if you were only going to release me when we arrived?"

His nose scrunches in a short snarl of anger. "I stood by all night as you practiced cutting apart and blocking my very core from yours over and over again without a single complaint from me. As much as it most literally pains me, I want you to have every independence you crave." His eyes meet mine and he pulls my hand into his, "I vow to never again take away any freedom of yours. Everything you crave is yours if I can give it to you, as long as your safety is never in question. I vow to treat you as my equal in every sense if you ever wish to be mine."