Scene 24- James Dean Warren Pt. 2

Juliette runs up the stairs into her room. She can hear the car running and looks out the window to see her dad in the driver seat waiting for her.

I can't believe he did that. In front of the boys too? Ugh. That's so embarrassing. Why does he always feel the need to pat me on my butt like I'm some toddler that just went on the potty?

She looks around her vanity and finds her lipgloss. She grabs it and heads for her bedroom door. JD appears in the doorway before she can make it through. He sees her out of breath and clearly stressed. Her cheeks are flushed.

He says concerned, "Are you okay?"

She looks at him for a moment. She wants to lie but doesn't think she can. JD was special to her. She could tell him anything and he'd be so understanding.

She replies defeated, "It's just Daddy... I'm fine though. It's fine."

Jd half laughs when he hears her answer, "No it was weird."

Juliette is surprised at his honesty. All of the Warren children are raised to worship their parents.

"Really?"

JD realizes he might have started something he didn't want to start,

"Well. He is your Dad. He's done those things before. He might just be holding onto the little girl Juliette."

Juliette is thoroughly confused by was he said and JD can tell.

"Today is a big day. Like a birthday, it's a sign that you're getting bigger-"

Juliette interrupted, offended, "Hey!"

JD continued and corrected annoyed, "Older. He might be more sad than he's letting on."

Juliette supposed that made sense,
"Oh okay."

The two teenagers heard a loud car horn honk from outside and start to go out of the pink floral bedroom.

Juliette groans and rolls her eyes.

JD inquired as they ran down the stairs. "Are you really dreading your own graduation? I thought you'd love all of the attention on you."

They both laugh at his comment.

"I do love the attention. I just am not in the mood to be with mommy and daddy all day."

JD stops in his tracks and it causes Juliette to stumble over him since she was running behind him.

Juliette, annoyed, said, "Dude what was that?!"

JD is still in a state of shock, "Really?!"

Juliette is defensive, "What? You know they've been so different recently. It's like when they realize how many kids they actually have they remember that I'm the last one that's a baby."

JD tries to comfort her, "You're not a baby-"

Juliette interrupts, "But they treat me like one. And so do the rest of you. I'm so sick of it."

JD stands and stares at her for a couple moments. Juliette realizes she might have said too much, but continues anyways.

"And I thought you turned out different. It's just been you and me for two years now. And all of sudden once your best friends come back you're babying me with the rest of them. The other day one of you asked me if I needed to go to the bathroom before I had an accident. Like what?!"

JD thinks that accusation is false.

He says back, "Whatever. You were just sleeping on Jackson the other day. You love being babied."

Juliette says with an immature tone, "I do not!"

JD doesn't give up, "Yes you do JuJu. You still call our parents mommy and daddy. You still get carried around whenever you want. You are the pickiest eater I've ever met. I've never seen you sit through an entire dinner and you even throw an occasional tantrum when you don't get what you want even though you're twelve. As far as I'm concerned I don't make you do any of that and I certainly don't feed into it-"

Juliette yells back and hits him on the arm, "Oh whatever! You totally feed into it!"

JD doesn't say anything. He looks at her with his eyebrows raised trying to motion to Juliette that she just proved his point. Juliette realizes that she has in fact done what he has just told her.

She says in a soft tone, "I'm sorry. I shouldn't have hit you."

JD doesn't say anything back to her in hopes that she says more.

She continues to fill the awkward silence, "I didn't realize those things make me look like a baby."

JD comforts her, "It's okay Juliette. It's not necessarily a bad thing to act like that. If anything we all like how you've grown up slow. It keeps us young."

Juliette doesn't know what he means so she stays quiet.

He starts to talk to himself, like he's explaining his own thoughts to himself, "Except the tantrums. Those are not a good look. I think everyone would take you more seriously if you learned how to not hit and scream and stomp your feet when you're mad."

She still doesn't say anything. It's hard for her to admit when she's wrong.

"But don't worry about that other stuff. If I could get carried up to my bed by mom or dad again I would."

Juliette looks at him wide eyed. JD realizes how vulnerable he's become.

He tried to back track, "I meant like be younger!"

Juliette grins and starts to giggle.

"Don't you dare tell anyone I said that or I will end your life."

Juliette has been successfully threatened, "Ok ok I got it. My lips are sealed." She motions zipping up her lips with her fingers and smiles at him.

JD smiles at her, "Just please enjoy this day? You know that we didn't all have to come here. We wanted to. Be grateful. That's mature."

Juliette is feeling better, "Thank you J. You're the only one who talks to me like I'm a person."

JD hugs her and kisses her forehead.