F O U R . T H R E E

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯

"Ann..." Lincoln took a step towards his sister, his expression frowned in a mixture of nervousness and sadness.
"Let him talk, Lincoln," Coriane mumbled without looking at the man, her eyes fixed on Bellamy. "What the fuck did you said?"
"Coriane I'm..."
"Speak!" With that shout, the earth began to tremble beneath his feet.

Little gasps and shouts could be heard from the crowd as everyone felt the jolt of power that Coriane's anger had provoked, Lincoln understood that if he took one more step it could make things worse, and even if Bellamy wasn't sure that continuing to talk would make things better, he knew that not telling her and continuing to lie would also hurt everything much worse.
He looked at the two Tate adults nervously now, he should have thought things better, he should have controlled his feelings, but it was too late, the damage was done, and the truth was, a part of him actually felt relieved by it.

"It's not me you have to ask. It's them."

The Tates were extremely silent as every pair of eyes fell on them, two burning with more intensity than the rest. Elara began to weep silently, and though Orion tried to hold his head up, his throat became an impossible lump to swallow.

"We're sorry," the woman said, her voice breaking, looking down at the girl surrounded by animals. "We're so sorry, Alana."

Coriane's eyes changed from expressing annoyance to pure confusion, for a moment she didn't understand, no one did, in truth, everyone was looking from the family to Terra and from Terra to the family, trying to connect the pieces of a puzzle where almost all of them were missing.

"Ala... what? But... you said she had died at birth, you said that..." And suddenly everything clicked for Adriel. The boy's eyes widened and his shoulders tensed. He looked to his parents for confirmation, wanting to find anything that could tell him he was wrong but being disappointed to see the sorrow on their faces. "My sister is dead."

Almost the entire room gasped.

Adriel refused to accept that the cruelty his mind had concocted was true. Alana Tate was dead. She died in childbirth. She died because she hadn't been born right. She died because... because his parents told him she had.

"Your what?" Coriane gasped.

It was taking everything in her to hold in the bile that threatened to denounce her. She clenched her fists so tightly that blood soon gushed from her palms in an attempt to contain the force she was feeling throughout her body. If before she thought the power was too much, that she had trouble controlling it, she could never imagine it with the Tributum affecting her.

"Alana died in childbirth, she died from complications, my sister died, didn't she, Mom, Dad?"

Elara shook her head, Orion's eyes squeezed shut for a second, and Adriel's heart dropped to the floor.