FIVE

"Baby, I know it's painful... But we're gonna be happy, so happy together."

———————————

Your eyes jolted awake. Your stomach was in a turmoil of nausea and bad memories, the anxiety creeping in your throat as you stared at the ceiling. This was getting out of hand. All week. The dreams and memories happened all week, not leaving you one minute alone, one second, anything at all.

You looked to the side to see it was 4:42 AM, and it was friday. You really did not want to stay awake, but you knew that you wouldn't be able to sleep, not after that. You sighed and sat up on your bed, rubbing your face in exhaustion.

You should call your mom. You really should, but calling home means going back to that place, to that hole you were in a year ago. Your mother is a saint, and she really doesn't deserve your cold shoulder, and sadly, she understands it. You remember your late nights with her, watching Golden Girls, sitting and eating popcorn.

Sometimes, your best friend would join in.

Vomit.

You felt it, rising up, burning your throat slightly at the memories, but you swallowed it down, not wanting to waste the dinner you had. They don't deserve your vomit, you have to realize that. You have to know that. You sighed as you looked up at the ceiling again. Would it be better if you opened up to someone? Would it be okay to do so? Would they pity you? Would they judge you? Would they resent you for not saying something sooner?

"Fuck no..." You sighed as you grabbed your phone from the nightstand to see a message on your instagram. You winced at the preview of the notification, seeing that Jason Carver had messaged you, once again. You didn't want to block him, but you were already in a fine line between impatient and annoyed. So you opened Instagram, and went to his profile, instantly blocking the guy.

You looked at the stories of a few famous people that popped up in your home screen of the app, and then a story of Nancy popped up as you swiped through.

"Eddie, there's no way you can eat that in a whole bite." You saw her filming Eddie straight on while he held a hot dog in his hands. He wiggled his eyebrows at the camera and he immediately stuffed his face with the hot dog, making you go wide eyed as you snorted loudly at the screen. "THAT'S DISGUSTING!"

You hear Nancy cracking up as Eddie tries to swallow the whole bite but was cracking up so much that he couldn't chew. They must have gone to have some dinner last night, just the two of them. Huh... Maybe they're going out? You never noticed flirting between them though, but they might be just really good at hiding it.

You kept looking at the screen and decided to go back and then go forward to Nancy's story again to replay it. You paused it when Eddie wiggled his eyebrows going up with a sly grin in his mouth. You wondered if you would have gotten to know this personality of his if your first meeting wouldn't have gone the way it did. If your relationship didn't crumble to bits the way it did. If your hatred for each other didn't grow the way it did.

Just one time in his life he directed a genuine smile to you, and that was when he asked what you were doing in the city. That was the only time, in the year you've known him, that he smiled, not smirked, not grinned with hidden intentions, but truly smiled at you. Not that you were any better than him. Whenever you could you teased him, bothered him, and if there was a chance to bully him with something, you took it. Just like he did to you.

But you did wonder if you've done more to him than you thought. Maybe you bothered him with something way too deep that you shouldn't have, and that's why he is just that cold towards you. You do remember one time where he didn't answer you. One argument that he didn't snap back at you.