The Chase-- Chapter 1 (New Story)

Ever AfteR

The ChasE

 Part 1

Wei Ying---

"But dad..."

"I suppose I was clear enough when I said you won't be coming along with me young lad," dad told me in a stern voice that pretty much sounded like he was admonishing a stubborn child.

"Aww c'mon old man! Not fair! You get to be a part of all the action going around while I stay locked up like some crappy fairytale princess in a high tower," I groaned, stomping my feet, keeping my hands on my hips. I really hated this part. I glared at my dad throwing daggers his way while he was humming a long forgotten tune like he was going out to catch a bunny and not to slay a blood sucking vampire.

Yep vampires, you heard that right! Crazy as it may sound but that's the brutal reality of the place where I grew up and the place that has been my home for as long as I can remember. I was an Chinese by birth but dad, mom and I had moved into Transylvania, a town infested by the creatures of the dark who sustained themselves by draining the blood of humans. You must all now wonder why on earth my dad was foolish enough to do something that would risk not only his neck but cost him his family as well? 

My father Nifeng Sian was born into a family that boasted of a legacy that existed to protect mankind from creatures such as vampires. Dad was one of the best slayers ever known and though I was a part of his lineage he chose to keep me away from it. Though I was born a slayer and was good enough to take those leeches down, he did not train me to be one, fearing he'd endanger my life without bothering to realise that by doing so, he rendered me defenceless. Ever since my mom was killed in one of the raids, dad had taken it upon himself to keep me far away from all this. I had begged him time and again to let me fight alongside him, to let me fulfil my destiny but he would not hear a word of it. And like every other night he was locking me up, for my own good as he claimed it and was embarking on his mission all by himself.

He picked up the stake and examined it for a while before putting it back into its sheath and fastening it onto his belt and turned to face the wrath of his nineteen year old son who looked nothing less than a fire breathing dragon right now. Hell, I was mad at him! I should be out be there kicking their a** alongside my dad but no! I had to make do with being dad's good for nothing damsel in distress type son. Ugh!

"Dad I was born to do this, then why don't you..." I protested to no avail when my father cut me across.

"I am not going to lose the only precious thing in my life to those monsters, Wei Ying. I only want you to be safe and..." he sighed and continued, "happy."

Just then there was a knock on the door and I heard a familiar voice from outside.

"Mr. Sian, we need to get going."

"Coming Xian," my dad replied in answer and turned to look at me one last time.

"You're all I have Wei," he said before kissing my forehead and walking out from there, shutting the door behind him.

"You're all I have too dad," I said in a sad voice to no one in particular.

*********************

1 month later--

Lan Wangji---

"Here you go and you can keep the change," I said, placing 30 RON on the table. The barman gave me a toothy grin and waved me off singing away merrily just like the people in this tiny crowded bar. Well I had to give it to these folks. Even amidst this horrid place that stank of death and despair they were trying to find a ray of hope, a reason to live when they did not know themselves if they would live to see the light of the day.