55 - Glimpse of Hope

Start from the beginning

"Alpha King, my name is Lela." The female speaks first, and I nod to her.

"My King, I am Volmir. We are sorry to hear of your mate's disappearance. We hope we can help you find her."

"Thank you. So, you both know Cole and Alarik?" They nod, and Volmir continues. "We met them about 7 years ago now. Cole had come here when this compound was just starting and asked if some of the wolves here would help him with something, and in return we would be taken into his pack when he became Alpha."

I sigh. "He played on your vulnerabilities."

"Yes. He did. Many wolves took him up on the offer. At least 20 of us. All filled with hope that we could become part of a pack again."

"What did he ask you to do?"

"He said that there were three people that were causing issues and that if we took them out, we would be bettering the pack to prosper and grow." Lela says, the distaste coming off her in waves. "He said it would be easy to take them down, that he would take care of their wolves and we just had to kill them, and we would have a pack to call home."

"Obviously he lied." Volmir states angrily. "Once we all had gone through with the attack, Lela and I realized that it was his parents and unbeknownst to us, your mate who was attacked. After the news of this spread throughout the group, many of them ran in fear of retaliation from the council, but Lela and I stayed as we didn't want to leave our home."

"So, Cole asked you attack them, and then after it was done did nothing else?"

"Exactly, got us to do his dirty work and then fucked off like a damn coward." Lela says with a growl.

"There were no repercussions?" I continue to question, and both shake their heads. "Nothing came. Not a word." Lela says softly.

"Thank you for telling me this, it solidifies some other information we found." I pause and make a split-second decision. "You both are welcome in my pack."

Both Lela and Volmir stand and look at each other before smiling at me. I stand as Lela outstretches her hand and shakes it gently. "Thank you, Alpha King. We're grateful and may just take you up on the offer."

"Just let me know. Oh, last question for you both."

"Yes? Go ahead." Volmir states happily.

"Was there a place that you ever met Cole and Alarik? Somewhere away from prying eyes?"

I see the gears turning in both their heads as they think, and a few minutes pass before Lela gasps in realization. "Yes. There was an abandoned stretch of houses that was between here and Red Moon's packlands. I'd say maybe an hour or two south?" She looks at Volmir and he confirms with a shake of his head.

"Yes, if I remember correctly, it was south of Red Moon. I think the houses were used for shelter for rogues before the compound was created."

"I wonder if maybe he took your mate there, Alpha King." Kaiden questions softly.

"Very possible. I'll check it out."

It's more than we had yesterday.

Ivy's POV

I scoff as I see Cole and Alarik pacing in front of my cell, in clear panic.

"I told you that Kaiden wasn't going to go for it! Why the hell would you push so hard?" Alarik yells, his frustration clear.

"I had to do something! I don't see you doing anything to help our situation!" Cole retorts and Alarik growls low and threatening. "You never allowed me to. You had to always take control. You always had to be the decision maker and look where it's gotten us! You're a fucking idiot, Cole." He states as he stalks away.