6 - First Glance

Ivy's POV

No way... he can't be here.

Suddenly, my palms start to sweat, and I become hypersensitive to everything around me. I hear the clanging of dishes in the back kitchen, and the steps of every single person walking around me.

"Ivy?" Kai puts himself into my view, and I shake my head. "Yeah?" I say, but it comes out as a mere squeak. "Are you okay?" He asks and I clear my throat and nod.

"Of course. Sorry, I was just processing what you said. To be honest, that makes me kind of nervous."

"Don't be, you're a regular here and everyone loves you. I'm sure the Alpha King will be just as smitten as everyone else is here about your voice." I half smile and look around.

I'm welcome here... I can do this.

"I know. Thank you for reminding me." I pause slightly and then continue, "So, what's the plan for tonight? Is anyone else playing?" Kai nods and hands me a piece of paper. "There's two other bands playing in addition to you tonight, I'm sure you recognize them?" I look at the paper in my hand and scan the names and I smile. "Yeah, of course!"

Kai walks past me to grab a box of cables. "One of them wanted me to ask you if you would help them with a couple songs, I'm pretty sure it's ones you've done for them before, but you can always chat with them later about that. You ready for soundcheck now?" I nod.

"Guess that's my cue!" Genevieve says and she hugs me and heads backstage with her bag. Kai hands me the microphone that he just finished setting up and I step on the stage, feeling that oh so familiar sense of belonging.
____

After soundcheck, I head backstage to find Genevieve and to talk to Ciara, the lead singer of one of the other bands playing tonight. As soon as I enter the space, I see them both near the back left of the room on the couches, laughing hysterically. Ciara sees me first, and it warms me to see the huge smile that forms on her face as she rises from the couch and makes her way over to meet me.

"There she is! How are you Ivy?" She asks as she embraces me in a tight hug.

"I'm good! How are you and the band?"

"We're great! Super happy that we're playing the same night as you. Ready to rock some songs together?" I chuckle.

"You know it."

"That's my girl! Alright, I'll leave you to get ready, and I'll see you on the stage! We can catch up more later, kay?" She winks at me and heads out of the room. I walk over to Genevieve who has pulled out my outfit and set up her makeup bag on the vanity table that is back alongside the left wall. I grab my outfit and head into the changing room, stripping out of my plain jeans and t-shirt and pulling on some fishnet tights, and another set of jeans, black this time with ripped holes, as well as a red, long sleeved crop top with a deep v neckline.

I grab my discarded clothes and head back out, where Genevieve whistles at me. "Look at you, hot stuff!" I roll my eyes and place my clothes into my bag. "Oh, shut up." I say as I sit down and run my fingers through my coppery red hair, trying to decide what to do with it, and Genevieve laughs lightly.

"You look great though, seriously." Genevieve says as she starts on my makeup, touching it up from the day and adding smokier black eyeshadow and two-toned red and black winged liner, then lashes and mascara. When I get a moment to pause, I look at her, and it's like she can read my mind.

"Don't worry about the Alpha King. He's just another pair of eyes."

"It's nerve wracking to even think he's going to be watching."