49 - Threat

Ivy's POV

I smooth my hands down my dress in an attempt to reign in my raging nerves, it being mere moments before Nate and I are to go down into the throne room in the packhouse. I'm so thankful that Nate decided to do this at the pack where it's smaller and more controlled, but even in saying that there are an estimated 2,000 people attending the packlands today in various time increments.

It's going to be a long day.

I've fully accepted my position and the need for me to be a strong person beside my mate, but going from being strong to weak and back to strong has me feeling some sort of emotional whiplash. I had given up on everything, and here I stand about to be welcomed as the Queen of our race in a matter of what, half a year? Nathaniel's coronation is mere months away once winter hits and it's been a whirlwind of a time to say the least.

"Evie told me that you chose a black dress, but damn baby you look good." Nate emphasizes the last word loudly as he walks up behind me as I turn to face him, my gown sweeping with my movement.

"Why thank you, Alpha. You look striking yourself." I step back and take him in, my eyes wandering over his entire ensemble. He's in an fitted all black dress suit with a small red scarf tucked into the chest pocket, with a clasped chain that extends from the pocket to his collar. I look closer at the chain and its clasps, which I notice now have his family crest on them.

I step closer and run my fingers down the collar of his suit jacket, tugging ever so gently. "This makes me want to not entertain all these people today and just stay with you in bed." He chuckles lightly at my words before leaning down to whisper in my ear. "Oh, believe me, songbird. You'll be bent over, still in this dress while I take you later this evening."

I blush madly as he takes my hand and places it over his now obvious bulge in his pants and I bite my lip.

"I look forward to that." I state before Nate backs away and looks away from me seemingly distracted, but I know that he's in communication with someone via mind-link.

"They ready for us?" I ask and he brings his attention to me and nods before reaching out and I place my hand in his.

- - -

I look around the throne room and marvel in its décor, still very much the work of Daciana I'd assume. White and black marble flooring with a wide dark grey carpet that leads up to the front of the room, with a massive assortment of greenery throughout the room, bursting with colour against the ash-coloured walls.

As Nate and I walk up towards the front, I notice the thrones sitting upon a raised platform with a three-step small staircase surrounding the entire platform. The thrones themselves are very simple gold framework with black fabric for the seating, adorned with some jewels and molded branches of gold vines with leaves. It reminds me of Nathaniel's forearm tattoo, and I smile.

"It's beautiful in here."

"It rarely gets used, but yeah my mother did it again with the design."

"She should do it as a job, seriously."

Nate laughs. "I agree with you."

It's then we step up and stand in front of our thrones. I notice a few other pack members and guards take their places. Some for crowd control, some for protection. A small rope fence is placed just ahead of the staircase with a podium to the right side for announcing our visitors before they come and meet Nate and me.

As all this comes together quickly, I see a few familiar faces approach us, walking down the carpet.

Kane, in his regular tuxedo, hair styled messily.