4 - Invited

Ivy's POV

"I am so thankful for you guys." I state as I finish making the last bed in the last room on the 10th floor of the new building. It's now the third day, and with Kane and Genevieve's help, I just managed to finish.

Here's hoping it's good enough.

"We're glad to help you. This was way too much for one person to take on." Kane says as he grabs the bucket of cleaners and places them outside the door. "I don't want you guys to feel like I am working you." Kane shrugs. "I don't feel like it's work, just get to hang out with you and Evie. It's okay. Really."

I half smile. "Okay. Still, thank you."

Genevieve then comes in from the hallway and takes a once over of everything. "Finally done. We have to go though, there's an announcement in about 20 minutes at the packhouse."

"Right. Forgot about that. Let's get cleaned up and go." I say, thinking if the announcement has anything to do with the Alpha prince.

___

I walk with Kane and Genevieve into the packhouse and the hustle and bustle and voices of everyone talking is distracting. Seems everyone is on edge as to what this announcement could be. As we come to a spot that is away from everyone else, I reach up to the end of my braid nervously. I can't help it.

There's been so many announcements after what happened but being in here just reminds me of the day that Cole announced to the entire pack that I was the one responsible for the death of the Alpha and Luna. I remember the faces and sounds of shock when the words exited his mouth. I wanted to run away in shame, but there was no way I could leave without anyone noticing. Plus, that would have just added to my guilt I felt and would give everyone more reasons to hate me.

Soon enough, Cole and Alarik come into view, and stand on the main stairs in the front foyer of the packhouse. Once the pack members sense his presence, the chatter dies down, and all attention turns to them. It's not long before Cole speaks, his voice carrying over the entire crowd.

"Hello everyone. I have asked you all here today because there are a few important announcements to make. First, our new residence building has been completed, and applications are now open for those who wish to move into there. Residency will be based on a hierarchy basis, as we only have so many rooms to offer for those who live here. We would like to keep some of the floors open for visitors who come to Red Moon." He pauses and glances my way, and I shoot my eyes to the floor. Shit.

Cole clears his throat. "Which brings me to my second announcement. As you all are aware, the Alpha King and Queen are stepping down and allowing the Alpha Prince to take over as the new King. As part of his anointment, he is visiting select packs over the four continents, and Red Moon was chosen as one of the pack he will be visiting in the Northern continent."

Its then that gasps and whispers fill the room. Clearly the pack is interested as to why he is coming here, but I sense some nervousness as well. It doesn't surprise me due to the fact that our pack doesn't run as smoothly as people think, and only our pack members really know the state of life around here.

Alarik growls lowly, and it's silent again as Cole continues.

"I know some of you may be nervous about the future King coming here, but do not worry. He is overseeing a pack merger as well as just getting to know us. Please trust in me, this will be beneficial for our pack here at Red Moon."

Yeah right, Cole. Beneficial for you maybe, but if the future King sees/hears just how some of your pack thinks of you...

"The final announcement today, is that the annual mating ball is fast approaching. This year, Red Moon is to attend. Every unmated male or female from the pack is to attend, and hopefully we gain more pack members for the future. Arrangements have already been made for transport; attendees will only have to worry about your attire. Please remember you are representing Red Moon outside of our pack lands, so I expect all of you to behave appropriately. That is all. Please direct any questions to Beta Alarik or me. Dismissed."

Everyone disperses then, and I turn to walk with Evie and Kane when my name is called.

"Ivy."

I stop dead in my tracks. I look up and see that Genevieve and Kane have turned around as well, and are looking at me with concerned faces. I mouth, "Go. I'll be fine." They hesitate for a moment, but when Cole calls my name again, they take their leave.

I turn and keep my eyes to the floor, watching my step as I approach Cole, who is now at the bottom of the stairs. He waits, and I realize that he is waiting for everyone to leave the packhouse. After a few moments, I hear the dying sound of footsteps and know that we're alone now.

"You looked at me when I was making the announcements." He states coldly, and I bite my inner cheek to stop from speaking out rudely. Instead, I manage, "I apologize, Alpha." I inhale sharply as he grasps the collar of my shirt, the fabric making a stretching noise as he uses it to pull me closer to him. I keep my eyes averted to the right as to not anger him further, but because of that, I don't see the slap coming.

He hits my face with such force that the slap echoes in the foyer. The left side of my face pulsates and stings, which brings tears to my eyes. I see a small amount of red in my left eye, which means the slap broke a blood vessel. Great. There will probably be a bruise too.

"Know. Your. Place." He says, emphasizing each word, disgust and disdain lacing them. "If it were up to me, you wouldn't be going to the mating ball, but since you're unmated, it's a law I unfortunately have to follow."

I remain silent as he releases me, and I lower my eyes to the ground to see his and Alarik's feet as they leave me standing in the foyer. Once I know they are out of sight, I reach up and cup my still stinging face as I turn around and head in the opposite direction and out the front of the packhouse where I see Genevieve and Kane standing near one of the small gardens.

Their gazes meet mine and they immediately rush to my side, Genevieve pulling my hand away to inspect my face. "You're going to need ice, let's go home."

"He slapped you didn't he." Kane says in a low tone and I only nod in agreement.

"What was it about?" Genevieve asks as we start to walk towards our house.

"It was because I looked him in the eye before the announcements, plus he wanted to tell me that if he had his way, I wouldn't be going to the mating ball."

"So, he does have to allow you to go."

"Yeah, but by the sounds of it, he will be watching me like a hawk."

Of course, he will, because he lives to make my life miserable. I need to get out of here.

I sigh and continue walking, hoping for some sort of miracle that probably won't come.

_____

-Any ideas as to what will happen at the mating ball? I'd love to hear your thoughts!

 - See you in the next one! - vv