12 - Emergency

Ivy's POV

My mind scrambles as I try to process.

"What the hell am I going to do now?" I say out loud, my voice filled with panic, and rightfully so. Kane walks over to me and pulls me into a hug, squeezing me tightly.

"We will figure it out, Ivy. We just might have to postpone until we get a better opportunity." We part and I raise my eyes to look at Kane, tears threatening to fall. "Will there even be one?"

"I know it's hard to think that you have any chance now, but you've got us. We will figure it out. But for now, we need to go to the packhouse and keep appearances up, okay?" He states and I nod.

I take a deep breath to calm myself. "Okay."

Kane turns and walks to the door where Genevieve is waiting still. I approach them, and we all walk out of the door together and head for the packhouse, with me still trying to get over the shock of this new development.

Once we arrive at the packhouse, Genevieve is pulled away to help with God knows what, and then Alarik approaches Kane and me. He doesn't glance at me, instead talking to Kane directly.

"Ivy is coming with me; Cole is requesting her for her task. Please go assist the pack warriors in preparing the grounds and security patrols." Kane turns and looks at me, his expression clearly speaking to me, asking if I'll be okay. I nod at him. "Go, I'll be fine." He turns and walks away, but not without another glance towards me, his face full of concern.

I wonder what my task is.

Alarik grabs my arm roughly and pulls me with him. I don't say anything, just follow his lead and in a matter of seconds, we're in the main foyer of the packhouse again, where Cole hit me a while ago. Speaking of, I spy Cole standing to the right of the grand staircase, speaking to a couple pack warriors.

Alarik addresses him as we approach. "Alpha. I have Ivy."

I avert my eyes as usual, until Cole steps towards us and grabs my chin, forcing me to look at him. His amber eyes narrowing in on me.

"As I told you before, you are going to be the Alpha King's guide. Anything he needs while he is here, is your responsibility. If he has any type of problem, it's going to fall on you to solve it. If you can't then you'll face the consequences. Again, you are to not say a single word of any pack activities to him, unless I have said it's okay. Do you understand?"

"Yes Alpha. I understand." I keep my reply short. As much as I want to rip out of his grasp, I know when to pick my battles, and this isn't the time.

"Good. Stand here, he will be arriving in ten minutes." I nod slightly as he releases me, and take my place near him, with Alarik on his other side. As I stand, Alarik barks out orders to anyone else in the packhouse, people approaching him left and right. He sends all who approach out on new tasks, and before I know it, it goes quiet. Deathly quiet.

He must be here now.

I straighten up and brush a strand of hair out of my face. I almost jump when the packhouse doors open and large men walk through, their eyes inspecting every inch of the foyer. They're in casual clothes, jeans and dress shirts, which surprises me; but it doesn't make them any less intimidating. After a short moment, Nathaniel walks in, clearly have been given the okay to enter.

He takes my breath away again, and I mentally smack myself to focus. He's in casual grey dress pants with a collared black dress shirt. The sleeves are rolled up, showing off his very defined forearms and his tattoos? I'm puzzled that werewolf royalty member would have tattoos. I'm brought out of my thoughts as he gets closer to where Cole, Alarik and I are standing, and I take a quick breath to steady myself. He may be drop dead handsome, but he's also got the power to do anything, not to mention he could enforce it himself. There's been some stories of interactions he's had with other packs, and it makes me worried for Red Moon. Even though I want to leave.

Cole steps ahead and bows his head to Nathaniel. "Alpha Prince Nathaniel. Welcome to Red Moon." He raises his gaze and Nathaniel holds his hand out and they shake, and I can't help but notice Nathaniel squeeze Cole's hand harder; clearly exerting his dominance over him, and like the weak alpha he is, Cole doesn't reciprocate.

Cole clears his throat as his hand is released. "This is my Beta, Alarik Esten, and this is...." He goes to introduce me, but Nathaniel beats him to it, his deep silky voice saying my name loudly.

"Ivy. We've met. Glad to see you again."

Cole turns his head slightly to gaze back at me with anger.

Oh shit.

I didn't tell Cole that Nathaniel knew of me already.

---

Nathaniel's POV

I don't miss the angry gaze that this weak Alpha gives Ivy when I say her name. The surprise in her own eyes makes my senses heighten as I can feel her unease. I was right. There is conflict with her and Cole, and it makes me wonder what else I'm sure to find while I am here.

The pack itself looked fine from the view of my car, but I could tell that they were frenzied in knowing my arrival was coming earlier than planned. I do this to every pack I visit, as I want to see how they handle pressure. It's a pass, but there's still something I feel like I'm missing, and it won't be long until I figure it out.

We will see if this Alpha and his pack are okay for a pack merger.

I take a moment to look at Ivy. She looks beautiful with her coppery waves pulled away from her face. The black jean capris and pale blue tank top she's wearing accentuates her body perfectly and Kiba purrs in response in my head.

I bring my attention back to Cole as he's composed himself again.

"Ivy here is a pack representative, one of my best. She will accompany you while you're here and show you around. If you have any questions, please address them to her and she will answer what she can. If you require anything from me, my mansion is right beside our pack house to the left." He pauses, trying to gauge my reaction, but I don't give him one. He continues.

"There is a large BBQ set up outside in our training grounds for your first meal here tonight. I hope you have an enjoyable stay here at Red Moon, and please don't hesitate to find Alarik or myself if you need anything further." Him and his Beta then turn and walk away from me, heading upstairs in their packhouse.

I raise my brow, a bit confused and irritated that they've just left. Were they not taught how to address royalty in our culture? Clearly not. Not only did they not wait until I addressed them, then didn't kneel for respect and sure as hell aren't supposed to leave before I do.

My frustration wanes as Ivy approaches me and lowers her head and kneels, the proper way to address me. Well, what do you know? At least someone knows, and the kicker? It's my mate who will have people addressing her the same way in the future. I feel my heart quicken in response to those thoughts.

"Alpha. Welcome."

It takes a good amount of restraint to not reach out to her. "You can rise, Ivy. Thank you for addressing me." She looks up at me as she rises to her feet, her green eyes mesmerizing me yet again.

This girl is clearly going to be the death of me someday.

"Is there anything you would prefer to do before dinner, Alpha Nathaniel?" She questions, and I smile at her, hearing her heart pick up as well.

"I would love a tour of the pack lands if you don't mind."

She half smiles in return. "Of course! Follow me please." She walks past me, and I turn to follow, all while mind-linking all of my pack who are here.

"Do a sweep of the grounds, talk to the pack members and get to know this pack inside and out. Link me with any findings."

I get multiple "Yes, Alpha's" resounding in my mind and I follow my little songbird out the main pack house doors, happy to get some time alone with her.

I need to know why she doesn't like it here.

I need to make her happier.

_____________________

 - Sorry for the delays! I'm starting my last year of school and was basking in my last moments of summer! Hopefully will have some more chapters soon!

 - See you in the next one!  - vv