15 - Confusion and Torment

Ivy's POV

It's now been a few days since Alpha Nathaniel arrived, and thankfully it's been quiet. Alarik and Cole haven't even been bugging me as much as they usually do, and I really only have Nathaniel to thank for that. His presence has lessened a lot of my daily torment.

I don't know what I'm doing concerning my escape. My bag is still packed and sitting by the window, but honestly, I don't think I'm going to be leaving anytime soon. Everyone is on high alert, so there is no way that I would make it out unnoticed.

The tension is thick, since Alpha Nathaniel is so stone faced about what he's thinking. He is to let Cole and the pack know if he is approving the merger by the end of his visit. No one has any idea of what he's heard or seen, and if he has heard or seen anything, he's doing a hell of a job keeping his poker face intact.

I sigh loudly as I roll over in my bed.

Even I'm confused and in the dark. I've been trying to not think of it, but the way the Nathaniel interacts with me is so different from how he is with others. It's not hard to notice that he's attempting to keep a safe distance from me and slipping up like he did when I delivered the towels to him. I did end up leaving afterwards, but I saw the pain in his face when I said goodbye. There's a clear attraction between us, but I don't know if it's something that he wants to pursue.

He's a future King. What the hell would he want with a lowly wolfless girl like me?

I snap out of it as Evie enters my room. I sit up and look at her worried face.

"Cole wants to see you."

I guess I spoke too soon.

- - -

I exhale deeply as I stand waiting in the garden. I know exactly why he wants to meet me here. Hardly anyone comes by here and I'm sure he doesn't expect Nathaniel to be here either. I hear footsteps behind me, and I turn quickly and glance to the ground. I stay quiet. My instincts are telling me this isn't going to bode well for me.

And I'm right.

Cole grabs me roughly by my shirt, and then wraps his hand around my neck. I look up then, his eyes full of anger. My heart picks up pace and beats wildly.

"What did you tell him?"

What?

"I didn't say anything to him! Nothing at all! I did what you said!" My voice shakes slightly, but I keep myself composed.

"He didn't approve the pack merger. You had ONE JOB!" He screams in my face, and I wince as he roughly shoves me back. I stumble.

"He didn't?" I question and am secretly relieved. No other pack deserves to have him as their Alpha.

"No. He didn't. Based on the grounds that my pack fears me and isn't a community."

I can't help myself and I chuckle slightly. Cole's eyes widen and he looks at me with fury.

"What the fuck is so funny?"

I stand tall, knowing full well I'm going to regret this.

"You are. It's a joke that you think that Alpha Nathaniel would even consider a pack merger with how you run this pack. He clearly sees through the pathetic façade you've been trying so hard to maintain and knows exactly what kind of Alpha you are."

He glares at me, asking, "And what kind of Alpha am I?"

I scoff. "A fucking shit one."

It's then he lunges at me.

- - -

Nathaniel's POV

Well, Alpha Cole did not like that I came to my decision regarding the pack merger only three days into my visit. He took the news exactly how I thought he would; with a stone expression that showed all of his displeasure.

There is no way that I would give him control over another full pack. Absolutely not. I can't even call this a "pack". Whatever the hell goes on here is just insanity, and I would be just as insane to allow more wolves to be under his rule here. He may not like it, but my voice is absolute.

"You've been keeping your distance from her." Tobias says quietly and I sigh, still frustrated at myself. We're out walking the pack boundaries, discussing the events that have transpired, and of course Ivy is one of them.

"Yes. I can't control myself around her, but this is torture as well."

"Just think of when you won't have to tiptoe around her."

"Oh, believe me, that's all that is keeping me sane."

Suddenly, I pick up on raised voices coming from near Ivy's house. I stop and listen. Tobias must hear it too as he goes quiet and looks at me. We both turn and head towards the sounds. We get closer and I recognize Cole's agitated voice, and then I recognize Ivy's. As we approach, Tobias pulls me behind the big tree that is just outside the garden perimeter. Keeping our distance, we listen.

I hear Ivy laugh; Cole asks her what's funny and then what comes out of her mouth next has me almost cheering.

"You are. It's a joke that you think that Alpha Nathaniel would even consider a pack merger with how you run this pack. He clearly sees through the pathetic façade you've been trying so hard to maintain and knows exactly what kind of Alpha you are."

Do it. Ask her. I want to hear what she says.

I smirk as he does exactly what a weak Alpha would do to a she wolf who is threatening his masculinity.

"And what kind of Alpha am I?"

"A fucking shit one."

He lunges at her, and before I know it, Tobias is pulling me back.

- Just watch. I know it's hard. I'm recording it. – He tells me via mind link.

I watch her dodge his advances, getting a couple of hits in, and I instantly know she's a fighter. I can't help but feel pride in her defending herself, but my pride turns into worry when I see her fatiguing only after a mere few minutes of dodging him.

She shouldn't be tired already. She's a wolf. My Mate.

I growl low as Cole gets his hands on her and wrenches her arms behind her back, pushing her to the ground on her knees. He kicks her back, and she rolls onto her stomach, pulling her knees in to protect herself from any further kicks. I hear her cry out as his foot connects with her face, and it takes everything in me to not rush over to her, to defend her from this piece of shit.

Cole stands over her, his voice still raised with anger.

"You may think I'm a shit Alpha, but at the end of the day, I am an Alpha. You are nothing to me, to this pack. I own you for what you did, and lucky for me you keep fighting. It only makes it more of a fun game." He spits at her and then brushes himself off and walks away, leaving Ivy writhing in pain from her injuries in the middle of the garden.

"We will kill him!" Kiba roars in my head, and I can't help but agree. This fucker is going to hurt for what he's done. I watch as Ivy pulls herself up onto her knees and the pain in her face is clearly evident. Her shoulders shudder and I know she's holding back her tears, trying to keep her composure.

She wipes her face, exhales, and stands, taking a few steps to test her balance. She winces as she tries to walk, and I growl low again.

But it must not have been low enough, as her eyes shoot up and connect with mine.

Oh shit.

_________________

 - Enjoy! A few more chapters are coming! Stay tuned!

 - See you in the next one! - vv