Chapter 16: Resolve

Getting a person to become Hokage proved to be disturbingly easy; for some reason Tsunade was expecting the process to take days filled with countless meetings and formalities she had no interest in, so when the time came and they finally reached Konoha she was surprised to find the Daimyo as well as the people taking care of Konoha as their de facto leaders already waiting for her at the Hokage office.

Koharu had been brutally honest to her and said something along the lines of 'I actually didn't think Jiraiya would be able to bring you back, let alone sober' but expressed her excitement at having her back in the village. She was hoping to find Homura along with her, they had been Hiruzen's advisors for as long as she could remember so it only made sense that they were there too.

She was never particularly close to the man, he was often serious and had an a strong and respectable aura around him that spoke of his years of experience, he rarely if at all participated in idle chatter so he never really had much to talk about with them, but they - Her and Jiraiya - knew that he was a great man and their sensei seemed to think so too so she would make sure to honor him too.

After expressing her condolences she turned to address the person that had taken the role of Koharu's oldest friend in leading the village while they waited for their new protector, Nara Shikaku Konoha's Jonin Commander and one third of the famous InoShikaCho formation that did so much for the village in the last war.

She couldn't help but wonder, does he ever get tired of being introduced like that?

Last but not least, she respectfully addressed the other man in the room and the most powerful one at that. They had met countless times before, being the Hokage's apprentice and the heir of the founding clan of the village had put her in the man's sight on more than one occasion.

Then the Densetsu no Sannin came to be and she had even more reason to meet with the man so it was fair to say they were already acquainted with each other. Tsunade's opinion of the man? Lame, he at least in her mind is the definition of 'Lacking' she was never able to understand how someone like him had managed to become the most important person in their nation.

The Daimyo isn't a bad person, he was just... meh. He till this day lacks character, he is easily swayed and even though he has great respect for Shinobi and what they entail he has the emotional intelligence of a rat combined with the social skills of a prison inmate.

But he must be decent at the job, at least that's what she thinks. The Fire country is still considered to be a rich nation and arguably the strongest one so there must be some brains behind that uninspiring facade.

She still couldn't remember his name no matter how hard she tried though.

"Tsunade! It's good to see you again but I have to admit, I didn't think you'd ever willingly stand in this office again." That sentiment was shared by some of the occupants in the room at the time, some meaning all of them.

She - smartly - bit her tongue before answering back. "Well Daimyo-sama, the circumstances have changed and I know it's for the better. I just wish Sarutobi-sensei was still here to see it." Coming back home, that's one of the things that filled her mind.

The old man had been nothing but understanding of her and her pain and even before leaving she had been everything but that to him; every attempt he ever made at contacting her after she left was only met with uncalled for rudeness and disrespect, something she wishes she could apologize for.

"As do I, but enough of that, the reason I'm here is to make sure a new Hokage is sworn into office today. I originally wanted it to be Jiraiya but after hearing some arguments against it by him and Koharu-san it was decided that you would be the one to take over." At this he gave her a scrutinizing look that was met with a confident stare that left no room for argument from her, he quite liked that attitude.