Chapter 9: Ero-senin

"The fights are as follows..." The sudden and intimidating voice of Ibiki brought Naruto out of his intense glaring to a certain red-head. "In the first match Nara Shikamaru will fight Uzumaki Naruto, in the second match Haruno Sakura will fight Sabaku no Temari, in the third match Sabaku no Kankuro will fight Aburame Shino and finally in the fourth match Hyuga Neji will fight Hyuga Hinata."

"You're forgetting my name..." Gaara's voice was menacing, full of hatred and bloodlust but Ibiki wasn't phased in the slightest.

"Because there's an odd number of participants, you Sabaku no Gaara will be facing the winner of the first match, win or lose the progress of your opponent in the tournament will be decided by their match only." After he said that, Ibiki didn't take any questions and dismissed the Genin.

Naruto was mad, he can't remember ever being this angry and perhaps that's why he did what he did. After the match announcements had been made he walked up to Gaara and stated.

"I will destroy you."

He then walked away, only stopping in the place where Lee had laid before being taken to the hospital to receive far better treatment than what he could hope to get in the tower's infirmary. Naruto looked at the still fresh blood of his friend and knelt, he took it on the palm of his hand and squashed it hard as he made an oath.

'I will make sure he pays for what he did to you bushy-brows, I swear I will.'

"Naruto-kun?" A stern and concerned voice called out his name and it was only then he was finally brought out of his own thoughts. He looked around and found that Lee was still asleep in the hospital room he himself had refused to leave for the past two days. The only person who would ever come to visit Lee besides him was Gai-sensei and that only made him feel a stronger need to stay by his side.

"I'm sorry Dr. Teruya, I spaced out a little 'ttebayo!" He rubbed his nose sheepishly in that silly way he always does when he's apologetic about something, it didn't really feel natural this time, not with his friend lying in bed right beside him.

Dr. Teruya chuckled at Naruto's antics and waved off his apology as she made her way to him and took a seat right by his side. "So, how are you feeling dear?"

"Me? You want to know how I'm feeling?" That seemed like such a dumb question to him, why was he suddenly the object of her concerns when he isn't even her patient. "What about Lee?"

"Now, now. Don't get all judgemental on me young man. Lee is doing as well as he can given his circumstances, I just wanted to know how you're feeling, that's all." She gave him a look that dared him to say otherwise and that seemed to stir up something in his mind as he slumped his shoulders.

"I'm sorry..." Naruto was never rude, at least not intentionally, he had been a little testy after the prelims were over, perhaps it was the lack of sleep but at this point he was merely guessing.

"Don't be, now tell me, what's got you so upset?" She asked.

"It's just that I-, I feel like I should've done something for him... Kakashi says there's nothing I could've possibly done to prevent what happened but I still can't shake the feeling that I failed Lee." It was most likely because he knew. He knew Gaara was dangerous and never warned him, he knew what Gaara was even if just shortly before his match but he still didn't tell him, it ate at him.

"Well, I'm not Lee - though I'm sure you noticed - but if it were me, I wouldn't even think of you when looking for someone to blame, if anything, I think Lee is really fortunate to have such a good and loyal friend." Kaiya's comment made Naruto brighten up a little and she pinched his cheek like a grandma would do her grandson, making Naruto chuckle and visibly relax.